Question External Seagate Lacie hard drive slow to respond on Windows 11

Jun 11, 2022
I have a frustrating issue with my external Seagate 4TB hard drive since getting a new HP laptop with Windows 11. When I click on a folder to view, it takes around 20 seconds for the light on the hard drive to go from solid to flashing and for the files to show in Windows explorer. While this might seem good for power saving, it's very frustrating when I want to quickly access or transfer files. It was always fast on Windows 10. Also it takes this long even if there is only a minute between operations. I would understand if it was hours and the laptop had gone to sleep or something. Seems a few others having this issue. Microsoft says contact HP, HP say contact the shop I purchased from and the shop don't care and don't class it was a warranty issue. Seagate says it's not their issue.

I have a frustrating issue with my external Seagate 4TB hard drive since getting a new HP laptop with Windows 11. When I click on a folder to view, it takes around 20 seconds for the light on the hard drive to go from solid to flashing and for the files to show in Windows explorer. While this might seem good for power saving, it's very frustrating when I want to quickly access or transfer files. It was always fast on Windows 10. Also it takes this long even if there is only a minute between operations. I would understand if it was hours and the laptop had gone to sleep or something. Seems a few others having this issue. Microsoft says contact HP, HP say contact the shop I purchased from and the shop don't care and don't class it was a warranty issue. Seagate says it's not their issue.
Wag.
Look in device manager for the usb devices.
There is a setting about power management.

Ralston18

Titan
How are the external HDD's being powered:

1) directly from the host computer's USB port?

2) directly from the external HDD drive's own independent power supply?

3) directly from an independently powered USB Hub with a USB connection to the host USB port?