[SOLVED] External SSD - 2 Partitions - Rufus does not allow selecting E partition alone.

6k38

Prominent
Jun 28, 2021
Hi,

I've got an External SSD with enclosure. I created a 100gb partition for installing windows 10 in it but Rufus does not allow selecting the E partition alone.
If i go forward it will wipe out what i have in the entire drive!
Is it a bad idea to try another software that selects the E partition alone and does not mess with the D partition. Meaning should I use a dedicated USB thumb drive for it and that's it?

It's extremely important to know because even if a software is able to do what i seek, if messing with the D partition is a likely thing to happen at some point, (then also at some point), i might need to access the contents in D, and they won't be available or will be messed up.

Please let me know and check the print screen in the link https://prnt.sc/17c7tjz

Thank you!

Solution
Yes i booted it, and was not even getting loaded.

In the case of an unrecoverable OS "Macrium Rescue USB" is the best way to go it seems.

But since you're on the expertise zone when it comes to backups and recovering windows back to business; (you agree with me on this point)?
Images with Macrium is the basis for my entire backup routine.

Full image, and then a series of Incremental or Differential. Nightly or weekly, as the particular system demands.
A Rescue USB stashed in the bottom of the PC case so it doesn't get lost.

Somewhat modified since I wrote this, but...

6k38

Prominent
Jun 28, 2021
Yes, that.
Don't mess with your large external drive.
You can't select just a specific partition to create the Windows install thing.

An 8GB flash drive is trivially inexpensive.

Absolutely. I wanted to bypass having another flash drive to keep things more organized.
But one with live windows is a must.

Please one more question:
Is it possible to have functional partitions on a flash drive. Say one with live windows, one with live linux, and another with several tools like hiren's boot cd?
Messing the partitions isn't necessarily a big deal, although repeating the process of installation is a waste of time.

If issues are likely to occur then will have a dedicated windows live flash drive; plus another for other things, and that is the way to go.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Absolutely. I wanted to bypass having another flash drive to keep things more organized.
But one with live windows is a must.

Please one more question:
Is it possible to have functional partitions on a flash drive. Say one with live windows, one with live linux, and another with several tools like hiren's boot cd?
Messing the partitions isn't necessarily a big deal, although repeating the process of installation is a waste of time.

If issues are likely to occur then will have a dedicated windows live flash drive; plus another for other things, and that is the way to go.
Running Windows from a flash drive...

1. If you eventually get it working, it will be slow. As in watching paint dry slow.
  2. If you get it working...

6k38

Prominent
Jun 28, 2021
Running Windows from a flash drive...

1. If you eventually get it working, it will be slow. As in watching paint dry slow.
  2. If you get it working...

In the case of an unrecoverable OS "Macrium Rescue USB" is the best way to go it seems.

But since you're on the expertise zone when it comes to backups and recovering windows back to business; (you agree with me on this point)?

USAFRet

Titan

Full image, and then a series of Incremental or Differential. Nightly or weekly, as the particular system demands.

Reactions: 6k38
Solution

6k38

Prominent
Jun 28, 2021

Regarding the creation of an image in Macrium; is selecting the C partition enough to load a bootable image to the boot drive?
https://prnt.sc/18shk50

In the last image i created i selected everything; just in case.
Please let me know.