[SOLVED] External SSD Recovery Help

Nov 9, 2021
Hey all, I will do my best to keep this short. I am a video editor and use an external Sandisk extreme pro ssd 1tb to work off of. The drive is fairly new, I've only been using it for maybe 5 months. Just a few days ago I was opening Adobe Premiere Pro and it froze so I had to force quit. When I did this the SSD disappeared from my desktop with the message about "make sure to eject your drive properly" Since then the SSD will not appear anywhere. I have tried different cables, both on my Windows computer and Mac but still no luck. The drive does not appear anywhere except in device manager on windows under portable devices and system info for Mac under USB hardware. In Windows under Disk Management the drive shows as the D: slot but says no media under it. There are a few files I really need on the drive so I even tried using several file recovery programs but each of them never show the drive even though I can see it in device manager. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm kind of lost and have tried most of the suggestions I've found through google searching. Mainly I'm just looking to see if there's a way to recover any of the files. I'm sure there is a good chance the drive is shot but the fact that it still shows in device manger confuses me. I'd really appreciate any help, thank you!!

Solution
Device Manager is probably just showing the enclosure, not the actual 'drive'.

If it cannot be seen in either Mac or Windows...your options are slim to none.

"There are a few files I really need on the drive so.... "
That is specifically what a comprehensive backup routine is for.

USAFRet

Titan
Device Manager is probably just showing the enclosure, not the actual 'drive'.

If it cannot be seen in either Mac or Windows...your options are slim to none.

"There are a few files I really need on the drive so.... "
That is specifically what a comprehensive backup routine is for.

Solution