[SOLVED] External SSD Samsung T5 slow speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotsaucebg3

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Hello. I bought a 500GB external SSD - Samsung T5. It says it supports speeds up to 540MB/s.
I have tried to transfer large video file on two different laptops(Dell 3552 and Acer aspire s7), but on both I get 22MB/sec write and about 40MB/sec read. We even tried to transfer file to phone Samsung A9, but the speed looked quite slow as well.

These speeds are way lower than what I expected. What could be the reason for this?

Solution
Should be faster. Those sound like USB2.0 speeds, although I know the S7 at least only has USB3.0 ports. Could be bottlenecked by internal storage, but the S7 has a SSD. Are you using the cables that came with the drive?
The key words here are "up to". Many variables are in play here, such as, is the drive plugged into a USB1, USB2, or USB3 port? Is the host system up to the task (fast enough processor, enough RAM, fast enough internal drive, etc.)? Is the host interface in the drive enclosure up to the task?

Should be faster. Those sound like USB2.0 speeds, although I know the S7 at least only has USB3.0 ports. Could be bottlenecked by internal storage, but the S7 has a SSD. Are you using the cables that came with the drive?

Solution

hotsaucebg3

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Yes, I'm using the cables from the box. The Dell laptop have new 500gb Samsung 850 Evo.
Do I need usb 3.0 drivers though?
Other question is could this be a chinese knockoff(the T5 external ssd)/fake copy?

Status
Not open for further replies.