Question External SSD wont get detected by Razer blade

ZW____

Honorable
May 10, 2017
So I'm connecting a 512 GB Samsung 850 pro SSD with a SATA to USB connector to my Razer Blade 14(2016), but the problem is that most of the time the SSD will not get detected by my laptop when I plug in, sometimes it will get detected when I plug it in. if i unplug it while its detected and working fine and plug it back in, windows will make the USB sound but nothing will show on in disk management or file explorer. I've noticed this problem when i plug in my iPhone too, normally it will get detected and you can access the photos on the phone, but the phone will not show up but it will charge the phone. Mice and keyboard will work perfectly fine with the USB ports on my Laptop. What can cause the inconsistency of the USB ports on my Laptop and what will the solution be?

Specs:
Razer Blade 14(2016)
GTX 1060 Mobile
i7 6700 HQ
16GB Ram

Example of SATA to USB connector I'm using:
https://imgaz.staticbg.com/thumb/la...6/78/5b1695d0-3906-40a9-8c4f-aa2dfe1f4dc4.jpg

Is that happening when using the blue USB cable on the adapter?
Make sure you use the main blue USB cable on that adapter, the 2nd auxiliary cable is for devices that require more power and it isn't required for that Samsung 850 SSD.
Is the laptop on battery or connected to power when USB is inconsistent?

I would suggest you get a external enclosure, if you are using the SSD in a regular basis.

ZW____

Honorable
May 10, 2017
My laptop is on constant Plugged in because the battery failed and had to be removed, and I think you have to plug in both USBs in order for the drives to function correctly because the connector is advertised for 2.5 in SATA drives, and I don't think its the connector or SSD's problem because they work fine when connected to my desktop. and the iPhone doesnt get detected at all by my laptop but it does get charged.

TRENDING THREADS