Question External ssd works one one computer, but crashes another.

SethS

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
So I just bought a brand new laptop (Lenovo 5 15 AMD Ryzen 7, rtx 3050ti) which only has 500gb storage, so I bought a Buffalo 1TB external SSD. When I plugged it into my tower (no brand, I built years ago), it worked fine. It let me transfer steam games, shows, music easily. When I plug it into my new laptop, it without fail, crashes windows 10 100% of the time. I'm running windows 10 on the tower aswell, so I'm quite confused. I'm running the external drive in performance mode through usb-c. I've tried plugging the drive in while the laptops running, and booting with it plugged in, and both crash. It's clear there's some problem with windows 10 since when I use it, it crashes windows explorer and freezes all windows operations, but allows me to use the apps that have already been opened (steam/ brave).
Any help would be appreciated.

So I just bought a brand new laptop (Lenovo 5 15 AMD Ryzen 7, rtx 3050ti) which only has 500gb storage, so I bought a Buffalo 1TB external SSD. When I plugged it into my tower (no brand, I built years ago), it worked fine. It let me transfer steam games, shows, music easily. When I plug it into my new laptop, it without fail, crashes windows 10 100% of the time. I'm running windows 10 on the tower aswell, so I'm quite confused. I'm running the external drive in performance mode through usb-c. I've tried plugging the drive in while the laptops running, and booting with it plugged in, and both crash. It's clear there's some problem with windows 10 since when I use it, it crashes windows explorer and freezes all windows operations, but allows me to use the apps that have already been opened (steam/ brave).
Any help would be appreciated.
What happens if you don't use usb-c?

SethS

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
What happens if you don't use usb-c?
Crashes instantly just like before. Laptop returns to working normal the instant I unplug it. Used normal usb on my tower, and it's fine. Currently has a 388 mb/s transfer rate on there. If this doesnt work, I also have 3 1tb internal ssds in my tower I can use, but i dont know how to go about using those for my laptop since they need sata and power to run.

Crashes instantly just like before. Laptop returns to working normal the instant I unplug it. Used normal usb on my tower, and it's fine. Currently has a 388 mb/s transfer rate on there. If this doesnt work, I also have 3 1tb internal ssds in my tower I can use, but i dont know how to go about using those for my laptop since they need sata and power to run.
Do you have anything else you can plug into these usb ports on the laptop just to see if they work.