Question External SSD

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. Just got a 1T SSD. When I opened it it had a readMe file. Must be formated with exFAY. I have read this and mainly undersand it. Never heard of it before. How do I get exFAt? I am on Win7 / 64. A google surch only gets me information no Sownload site.

This brings up another problem. Partitioning. Obviuosly can't use windows 7 disk manager for this.

Thanks.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Just looked. It apears Windows 7 has a choice of NTFS and exFAT. exFAT was created in 2006. Predates Windows 7. Ok so

Can I take it I can simply use disk manager to partion as normal.
Question. If I format using NTFS what would hapen advantages / disadvantages?

One has to be careful with new things.

USAFRet

Titan
Just looked. It apears Windows 7 has a choice of NTFS and exFAT. exFAT was created in 2006. Predates Windows 7. Ok so

Can I take it I can simply use disk manager to partion as normal.
Question. If I format using NTFS what would hapen advantages / disadvantages?
NTFS is more universally compatible with WIndows.

Partition? Probably, yes.
But why would you? What is going on this drive.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I don't need such a huge space and would like to break it down. As for why portioning. I have been asked this before. I do not like putting all my eggs in one basket. Microsoft has a documents section but If you put everything on the C: drive and windows crashes what then. I have heard of people taking their laptop to a shop because it isn’t working. Shop keeper tells them “I got it working just had to re-install windows”. By By all your photos and documents.

I have got into partitioning
C: for window
D: my documents
E: installed software other than windows (eg photoshop)

GOTCHA. You asume this is part of a company system with a server. No this is a private home computer. Also checked. Disk manager dosan't make partioning available.

Last edited:

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
"Multiple partitions on a drive are of no use when the whole drive dies. Or you get a nasty virus. "

No but thye are if Windows goes arse over tit and you need to format the partion and use Macrium Reflect to get everything back again.

I am not talking about disk failure, I am talking about Microsoft failure.

Delete volume is not available to me on this external drive.

D

Deleted member 14196

that is STILL not a valid data backup was the moderator's point. your drive could go tits up and you are SCREWED

my stuff is all backed up (3,2,1) and in cloud. my whole machine could die and I lose nothing. your attempt at data retention is weak to say the very least.

as for windows catastrophic failure (with exception of things I have done or installed) ? I have not seen that in several decades now. You are living in the past.

Reactions: Krotow

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Okay. This is clearly the wrong forum for this. This is a microsoft forum. Nobody here has had windows ever crash.

My simpe and polite question was how do I partition. What I receive was a
german gestapo interrogation as to why I would want to do this.

Did it not occure to you that this exterrnal is also a backup?

Have you ever had a microsoft backip.. Filling up your hard disk to the point it is sluggish and slow?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
"Multiple partitions on a drive are of no use when the whole drive dies. Or you get a nasty virus. "

No but thye are if Windows goes arse over tit and you need to format the partion and use Macrium Reflect to get everything back again.

I am not talking about disk failure, I am talking about Microsoft failure.

Delete volume is not available to me on this external drive.
Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.

And a backup takes into account all forms of fail.
Be it physical drive death or Microsoft.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay. This is clearly the wrong forum for this. This is a microsoft forum. Nobody here has had windows ever crash.

My simpe and polite question was how do I partition. What I receive was a
german gestapo interrogation as to why I would want to do this.

Did it not occure to you that this exterrnal is also a backup?

Have you ever had a microsoft backip.. Filling up your hard disk to the point it is sluggish and slow?
I've absolutely had "windows crash".
Similarly, a completely dead drive.

Was just asking about the Why of the partitions.

As far it it being "also a backup"....that is why I asked what is on it.
Whatever.

I don't need such a huge space and would like to break it down. As for why portioning. I have been asked this before. I do not like putting all my eggs in one basket. Microsoft has a documents section but If you put everything on the C: drive and windows crashes what then. I have heard of people taking their laptop to a shop because it isn’t working. Shop keeper tells them “I got it working just had to re-install windows”. By By all your photos and documents.

I have got into partitioning
C: for window
D: my documents
E: installed software other than windows (eg photoshop)

GOTCHA. You asume this is part of a company system with a server. No this is a private home computer. Also checked. Disk manager dosan't make partioning available.
I do the same thing so you're not the only one. Actually been doing it since the days of win3.1. It's nice to have separation. I don't understand why everyone wants 100TB in a single volume--and then organizing that with a milltion sub-directories. Back in the day I would actually use subst a lot to create drive letters for existing directory structures. It's just not the norm so it gets bashed...whatever.

As far as partitioning, you can use the standard methods for partitioning, but you will probably need to delete the current partition to do so. As far as exfat, if you need fat compatibility, just use FAT32 as it's good up to 2TB anyways. If you need more FAT32, create more drives. If you don't need FAT32, ntfs is fine (although I don't like how it deletes data to keep the file system 'consistent'--FAT doesn't do that--you can recover the clusters and then YOU decide what to delete).

D

Deleted member 14196

1tb It’s not a lot of space and if you’re going to partition it into three drives you’re going to have three small drives and windows is going to eat up all of the space on it’s partition after updates and you will be forever maintaining this. So have at it and good luck

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Stop with the personal insults
What updates. I have bad updates now. My responsibility. These are some stupid comments...

1tb It’s not a lot of space . It is if you are playing with word excell documents of only 2 meg in size. You are used to playing with gigabite videos.

This is external drive. So - no windows on it. I have 2 SSDs inside.Windows is only on one of them. The other has no windows on it and I have partitoned it. <MOD EDIT: Personal Insult removed> You don't have to have windows on a drive to partion it. Some people used to have multipul HDDs inside and windows only on 1. You are just a child. Your nappy needs changing.

Why have a filing cabinet with 4 draws labeled [A - D], [E - H], [K - Q] and [F - Z] When you can have just 1 draw [A - Z]

SamirD has it right. Besides why should we be bullied on this website because we want to partition. I beleive this is run by Microsoft people hence the comment the comment "Windows dosn't crash anymore you are living in the dark ages" and the guys on this forum are too young to remeber how to partiton. I bet none of them could tell you why the computer mouse got it's name. It is an Acronym.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SamirD
So much nonsense about a simple thing. We are talking about external drive here, yes? Then there is no sense to partition it. OP will detach it and keep in shelf for most of time anyway. For most uses he can format in in file system he prefer (NTFS, Ext4, HPFS etc.) and live with it.

Or... he have master plan for some eSATA/Thunderbolt connected drive where to install OS and all stuff and detach at evening or when authorities/bad guys with soldering iron came :) Then he can partition that drive with OS tools anyway. Still I don't think that he can withstand soldering iron in his south end without spilling all beans.

USAFRet

Titan
Please don't make assumptions regarding age or experience. I simply asked the Why of the partitioning.
There used to be very valid reasons to split a drive, even just a storage drive, into different partitions.
Today, IME, not so much.
Some people like doing it that way.

But I simply asked why.

Reactions: SamirD
D

Deleted member 14196

LOL, I bet I am older than you. Partition if you like--if they make you feel safer. Have fun. I am only sorry I missed reading the insults... that would have been pretty funny I should think.

as for windows catastrophic failure (with exception of things I have done or installed) ? I have not seen that in several decades now. You are living in the past.

Are you effing kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things you've done ... you mean like booting up your computer? Sometimes that's all it takes. All you have to do is read a few threads on here about "BSOD" etc. to realise how bizarre this statement is!

D

Deleted member 14196

thanks and welcome to my ignore list. don't hate me because I know how to install and properly configure computers so they live for as long as the hardware lasts. 99% of what's wrong in these posts I read are user induced. mismatched driver, using driver updater software--or doing stupid stuff in general. the bsods are mostly indicators of driver or hardware failures.

now be off with you.