Question External Storage Disconnecting randomly.

ChrisAB

Honorable
Mar 17, 2017
I'm having an issue with external media just randomly disconnecting. At first it started when i was attempting to upload from a 6TB Western Digital USB 3.0, so i tried a different USB Port and then a different lead and still the same.

I then tried a different PSU fitting a Corsair RM 850 80+ Gold Modular PSU in the place of my EVGA 750 G3 750watt 80+ Gold Modular PSU and still the same.

Thinking it was a fault with the motherboard itself i bought a PCI-E 4 port USB 3.0 card and again random disconnects.

I have even tried an External 4TB Seagate and an External 4GB i've put together myself and the same.

Theres no pattern to the disconnects it could disconnect after 2 minutes or even 20 minutes, there's just no knowing.

ChrisAB

Honorable
Mar 17, 2017
Try this: Bring up the USB & Root hubs properties in device manager and in the power management tab, turn off 'allow the PC to turn off this device to save power"
Nope the problem still persists, i was trying to transfer a file from an external and about 60% through it disconnected.
I had the idea that phaps the drives were over heating but i use a program called Hard Disk Sentinel to monitor my drives and the drives are fine temperature wise.