Question External usb 3.0 hard drive keeps disconnecting but works with passive hub?

johnnyh55

Reputable
May 26, 2015
I have a 2.5" usb3.0 hard drive enclosure that I bought and I put a toshiba 1 tb hdd inside of it. It works fine on every desktop computer I tried, it uses a really short Usb type-a to micro-b connector. When I connected the drive to my inspiron 5000 laptop running Windows 10 which has usb 3.0 it kept disconnecting every 2 secs but then I tried plugging a powered usb hub between my laptop and the hard drive and it was working fine, so I said that's it, the usb port does not supply enough power. But I have an anker usb3.0 ethernet adapter for my laptop since it does not have an ethernet port and that adapter also includes 3 usb 3.0 ports on it but it does not have external power, it only uses power from the laptop. Well when I plug my hard drive into one of those ports on the ethernet adapter, it works fine without disconnecting, so I am at a lost, I thought it was not enough power but it works fine through that unpowered hub , would anyone know what it could be?

I also tried with a micro usb cable(USB 2.0) and it works fine, I could buy a y cable to have power supplied from another usb port but I thought usb 3.0 should be able to handle data and power on the same port. Maybe the enclosure is the issue?

TRENDING THREADS