Question External USB 3.0 HDD disconnects and reconnects while files are being transferred or read from the HDD.

Moffinz

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Hi there! I'm having an issue with my external HDD. As the title says it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting when the hdd is in use. I use it mostly for watching movies and tv shows, but I also have some games installed on it. Doesn't matter what activity I use it for the issue will happen eventually disrupting whatever it is I'm doing at the time. It can be rather annoying at times.

I've googled around for solutions and I've tried everything they've suggested. Things I've tried:
  1. Turn off USB selective suspend.
  2. Connect HDD to a different USB port.
  3. Stop PC from turning off Mass Storage Device. (I've also ticked off this option in every other possible place under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in device manager.)

None of these things have worked for me. I'm kinda lost on what to do. The HDD is working completely fine, and I haven't experienced any file loss as of now, but I am scared that it might happen at some point. If anyone could help me sort this out I would greatly appreciate it.

the HDDs exact name is: TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 USB Device (2 TB).

I've had that problem. Fixed it by buying a mains-powered USB hub & plugging external hard drive(s) in to that.

Make sure the hub is a mains-powered model though or it won't fix the problem (which is caused by insufficient power from the computer's built-in USB ports).

This is mine but cheaper ones are available (I prefer to pay more for quality and durability):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-7...ered+usb+hub&qid=1565612474&s=gateway&sr=8-66

Moffinz

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
I've had that problem. Fixed it by buying a mains-powered USB hub & plugging external hard drive(s) in to that.

Make sure the hub is a mains-powered model though or it won't fix the problem (which is caused by insufficient power from the computer's built-in USB ports).

This is mine but cheaper ones are available (I prefer to pay more for quality and durability):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-7...ered+usb+hub&qid=1565612474&s=gateway&sr=8-66
Thanks for the suggestion! It might just be what could solve my issue. I'll have a look at different options :)