Stephen

I have just purchased an external harddisc (usb). Everytime it starts windows
annoying autoplay starts... for evey partition!

Is there anyway to stop this?

Locate, download and install Tweak UI (part of Powertoys for XP). Then,
there is a section where you can turn off the Autoplay for those drive
letters.