Question External USB DVD drive problem

Jun 22, 2022
Lenovo ideapad 330
Windows 10 Vers 21H2
Asus USB external DVD-RW

This is my last hope having tried all other forums!

My laptop has recently stopped being able to access the USB DVD drive through File Explorer. The drive shows up in explorer but I cannot write to, or read from, it. I cannot transfer data files to it as I used to or Format it.
If I insert a DVD disk with files on which I know is OK, it says "Windows can't read the disk in drive D"
I have uninstalled and re-installed the device driver.
Deleted ATAPI in registry and rebooted to reinstall it
I have tested the DVD drive on another PC and it is working fine.

However:

I can burn a video to the DVD using third party software (I use DVDflick)
I can view the movie OK (Using VLC media player)
I can see the the Audio_TS & Video_TS file in Windows Explorer.

CDFS disks read OK

Any ideas for what is stopping me from tranferring data to and from the DVD and yet I can burn & watch videos on it.

Lenovo ideapad 330
Windows 10 Vers 21H2
Asus USB external DVD-RW

This is my last hope having tried all other forums!

My laptop has recently stopped being able to access the USB DVD drive through File Explorer. The drive shows up in explorer but I cannot write to, or read from, it. I cannot transfer data files to it as I used to or Format it.
If I insert a DVD disk with files on which I know is OK, it says "Windows can't read the disk in drive D"
I have uninstalled and re-installed the device driver.
Deleted ATAPI in registry and rebooted to reinstall it
I have tested the DVD drive on another PC and it is working fine.

However:

I can burn a video to the DVD using third party software (I use DVDflick)
I can view the movie OK (Using VLC media player)
I can see the the Audio_TS & Video_TS file in Windows Explorer.

CDFS disks read OK

Any ideas for what is stopping me from tranferring data to and from the DVD and yet I can burn & watch videos on it.
Well if you can burn dvds and retrieve their contents using vlc then transferring data isn't the problem. Perhaps your file explorer got damaged. You could try opening a command prompt window as administrator and running a scan

sfc /SCANNOW

Or perhaps try another file manager program like File Voyager which may work better.

Jun 22, 2022
Thanks for the reply.
I tried using File Voyager but still have the same problem. I have run SFC \scannow several times before but have run it again just to make sure, but it showed no errors and the problem is still there.
I think there must be a corruption to something that File Explorer & File Voyager and others all use but short of doing a complete reset or repair, I can't see any way to resolve it!

Reactions: dwd999