Question External USB Legacy Ubuntu w/ Windows 10

Apr 28, 2019
I have a fully formatted/encrypted 16.04 or so external USB Ubuntu drive. I use it for only very secure stuff (CC, Bank, no surfing) simply plug it in, choosing it as the boot device, and mounting it on my old laptop.

I bought a new HP laptop with UEFI under Windows 10. The old external Ubuntu /boot is legacy. Can I simply go into my Win10 UEFI BIOS, when I want to use my Ubuntu drive, turn off the UEFI security, switch to Legacy Mode (also turn off "Fast Start", done within Windows) set to boot using Legacy Mode and boot from my USB HDD?

Then, when I'm done, shutdown, reset all the UEFI BIOS changes and return to a normal Windows 10 machine, or will changing any of these Windows settings require me to reinstall Windows or go into other elaborate restorations to get UEFI and the default settings of the machine back?

BTW, all of the things mentioned; going into legacy mode, turning off UEFI, etc., that were mentioned above, are available on this computer by booting into the BIOS and en/disabling them. Thanks.

Apr 28, 2019