[SOLVED] external vs internal HDD

Barkfunklerbunk

Prominent
Nov 20, 2019
Should I buy an external HDD, or buy an internal HDD and then buy an enclosure? an internal HDD seems to be more reliable, stable than an external HDD, but more costly. I'd just go for an external, but am looking at 6+ TB. I'd gladly pay the extra cost if it's worth it.
This drive would be just for video files.

Solution
External drives usually come in plastic cases. These tend to run hot.

Also, the USB powered external drives (2.5") now tend to integrate the USB-SATA bridge hardware onto the drive's own PCB. This prevents the drive from being installed as an internal drive at some future time.

Moreover, many external drives (eg Passport and My Book Essentials) come with hardware encryption, so this also prevents them from later being installed internally.

I would choose an aluminium external enclosure with a built-in fan, but then I don't mind the noise.

Warranty considerations notwithstanding, you might consider purchasing a 3.5" external drive, shucking the HDD, and replacing the enclosure with your own.
External drives usually come in plastic cases. These tend to run hot.

Also, the USB powered external drives (2.5") now tend to integrate the USB-SATA bridge hardware onto the drive's own PCB. This prevents the drive from being installed as an internal drive at some future time.

Moreover, many external drives (eg Passport and My Book Essentials) come with hardware encryption, so this also prevents them from later being installed internally.

I would choose an aluminium external enclosure with a built-in fan, but then I don't mind the noise.

Warranty considerations notwithstanding, you might consider purchasing a 3.5" external drive, shucking the HDD, and replacing the enclosure with your own.

Solution

popatim

Titan
Videos don't need a WD Black drive... 5400 rpm is fine for that use.

I'm with Fzabkar, shuck an 8Tb WD external drive and do with it what you wish. be sure to grab a molex to Sata power cable that does not have the orange 3.3v wire. It's been reallocated as a reset line so If you connect one of these new drives to your PSU power cable, it won't work because it's in a perpetual reset state (until 3.3v is removed). BestBuy has them for $130 currently.

Barkfunklerbunk

Prominent
Nov 20, 2019
I went for Door # 3 and just went with just an internal HDD and no enclosure, WD Blue 6 TB, and will install this in my PC. I have 3 external drives that will now be used for backups. I wanted to replace those 3 drives with just 1.
I travel cross-country twice a year (by car) with my PC, which is why I was looking at an external/internal+enclosure HDD. When travelling, I'll consider removing my new WD Blue and putting it in a case for transport. Otherwise, I think the shock dampening grommets will probably protect it well enough. Maybe I'm wrong there.
Thanks for the suggestions. I did look at the WD black, and was intriguing, but double the price was a negative factor. I think the 5400 rpm, 256 mb cache will be more than adequate to handle videos/movies. Good thing I thought to bring with me all the necessary cables and mounting screws!
Also, thanks for the shucking idea, I think I will go that route if I ever want another external.
If there are any suggestions, opinions, as how to transport a PC with a HDD(by way of car), it would be greatly appreciated! My (uneducated) guess, is that it would ultimately be best to remove the HDD and transport it in a shock, dust, and water proof case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts