external vs internal optical drive performance

Is there much difference in actual real world performance between external and internal optical drives? I don't use a dvd burner as much as I used to because a lot of modern applications can be downloaded from the Internet.

Real world performance is no difference. As stated, the disk speed is so much slower that the USB chipset will be waiting on it.

I dont have a cd drive in my server or my laptop (put ssd drive in laptop and original hard drive in caddy in the place of the dvd-drive). Just use a USB enclousre for my old dvd drive for both machines when i very occasionally need a drive

I guess that settles it.

Any recommendations for an external dvd burner?

boosted1g - I'm in a similar situation. I rarely use an optical drive other than for installing Windows 7 and a few professional applications which are still on CD-ROM discs. Everything else is either downloaded from the Internet or saved to USB flash drives.

Hey Johnny,

I have purchased a few external drives in the past and have had some issues with the low quality ones. I would personally recommend the ASUS reader because it has lasted me for a few years now. I would avoid drives that are less than $15. If you can get the ASUS on sale though.. that is a different story.

Cheers!

EDIT: This is the same model that I have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135256

There are some at your local best buy or walmart store that can be very cheap. I haven't personally heard of any of those brands in the past. That doesn't mean they are bad, but I would stick with a known brand. LG and ASUS make a good product. From what you linked the best option would be the ASUS one that I posted above.