Question Extra 4 pin cable for Seasonic Focus+ GPU?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Quick Question: I have a 3700X CPU and Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus MB. I couldn't help but notice that the MB has a total of 12 pins available for CPU power. My PSU has only 8 pins (two cables) available to supply power. I am only overclocking the CPU using DOCR and the stock overclocking utility in bios. Should I pursue Seasonic for a cable to supply the extra power?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Based on what you are describing I'm going to guess that you have a lower wattage Seasonic PSU (550 or 650). Usually the extra cables will only be applicable to higher wattage models (750W upwards). Realistically you'd have to upgrade the PSU.

Likelihood is you can just run without the pins attached, as it usually is for extreme overclocking, where you're not likely to draw that level of power. Just some boards can not be so nice without all pins populated.

Also, as a side note, probably not too much point in overclocking 3rd gen ryzen, they did some excellent work with the boosting of the chips to the point that overclocking doesn't really yield many noticeable benefits :)

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for your response; yes, it is a 650W. The only overclocking I am doing on the CPU are the packaged ones in BIOS....I am guessing they are relatively mild.

That being said, I have contacted Seasonic to see if I can obtain another cable, as it has connections for both ends...why not distribute the current?

And I also agree that these CPUs are pretty impressive. I don't have a lot of time yet, but I plan on upgrading the stock cooler with something more substantial to insure smooth performance.