[SOLVED] Extra 4 pin on motherboard

noahmorgans

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
PCPartPicker.com is telling me that my motherboard has an extra 4-pin connector, but I can't find a PSU that has one like it's talking about. It says it is likely to run, but extreme overclocking and larger cards might be iffy. I am going to use a Ryzen 7 3700x and a RTX 2070 Super. How concerned should I be?

Solution
It is stated that you don't need the 4 pin unless overclocking, assuming it's an x570 mobo.

But there have been posts about inability to boot or system instability when not using the 4 pin by some people. Is it related, I don't know.

I would suggest you do use the 4 pin. I have the Asus TUF x570 with the 8 and 4 pin connected and never had any issues.

That cpu and gpu provide for some silky smooth frame rates :)
It is stated that you don't need the 4 pin unless overclocking, assuming it's an x570 mobo.

But there have been posts about inability to boot or system instability when not using the 4 pin by some people. Is it related, I don't know.

I would suggest you do use the 4 pin. I have the Asus TUF x570 with the 8 and 4 pin connected and never had any issues.

That cpu and gpu provide for some silky smooth frame rates :)

Solution