Question extra 6 pin PCI-E connector on motherboard for overclocking

pedro1865

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
I have recently realized that my mobo has an extra PCI-E connector above the PCI express slots. The manual does not make clear what's the purpose of this extra power connector, however, after gathering some information from other threads on the internet, I discovered that this has the purpose of giving extra power for SLI or crossfire setups. Knowing that, I intended to use this feature in my GTX 1050 and overclock it even more, as it doesn't have a PCI-E connector on it, it's limited by the PCI express slot power (75w). I plugged a spare PCI-E connector, however the voltage cannot be changed, as far as I'm concerned, the Pascal GPUs have their voltage locked. Anyway, I tested my GTX 1050 on Heaven Unigine with 100mhz more than I used to put before adding the extra connector, and it seems like it is running more stable than before. Am I having more power for overclocking my GPU or not? Is this safe for the mobo and for the GPU in the long run?
Thanks in advance.

my specs:

MSI GTX 1050 2GT 2GB
Intel Core i5 9600K @ 4.6ghz
2x8GB HyperX Fury RAM DDR4 @ 2666mhz
MSI Z390-A PRO motherboard
Corsair HX 1050 power supply
WD Green 120gb SSD
Hitachi 7200rpm 1TB HD
H80i v2 AIO water cooler

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If that PCIe header on the board is indeed for extra PCIe voltage stability, the yes... it would provide more capacity for the boards +12V supply. But in all honesty, I doubt the GTX 1050 would need more voltage stability; even OC'ed.

TRENDING THREADS