"Extra" Drive in explorer

Homebuilt machine.... ASUS P4C800E delux Mobo, P4/3.2 ghz proc, 512mb ram.
Removed my older lite-on 16x dvdROM and upgraded it to a Lite-on 8X DVD+-RW
DL burner. Fired it back up. My origonal CDRW is visible, so is the new
DVDRW, however there is an extra drive labeled simply DVD drive in explorer,
from device manager it calls itselfe a scsi device, removed device from
device manager, rebooted, still there. Kind of screws things up when i turn
my printer on and my printers card reader gets bumped to G now instead of F
(when F shouldn't be there to begin with UNLESS the printer is on!). Drive
configuration: WD120GBSATA on SATA chanel 1 (C). CDRW Primary Master (D),
DVDRW Seconday Master (E) (NO slaves on this sytem, makes for speedy drive
to drive copies!!). Cardreader used to go to "F" when printer was on, now
goes to "G" after replacing the drive. NO SCSI DEVICES INSTALLED, nor is
there a scsi adapter. Ideas on what may be going on here???

jad

nero image drive?

"nooneimportant" <no.spam@me> wrote in message
> Homebuilt machine.... ASUS P4C800E delux Mobo, P4/3.2 ghz proc,
512mb ram.
> Removed my older lite-on 16x dvdROM and upgraded it to a Lite-on 8X
DVD+-RW
> DL burner. Fired it back up. My origonal CDRW is visible, so is
the new
> DVDRW, however there is an extra drive labeled simply DVD drive in
explorer,
> from device manager it calls itselfe a scsi device, removed device
from
> device manager, rebooted, still there. Kind of screws things up
when i turn
> my printer on and my printers card reader gets bumped to G now
instead of F
> (when F shouldn't be there to begin with UNLESS the printer is on!).
Drive
> configuration: WD120GBSATA on SATA chanel 1 (C). CDRW Primary
Master (D),
> DVDRW Seconday Master (E) (NO slaves on this sytem, makes for speedy
drive
> to drive copies!!). Cardreader used to go to "F" when printer was
on, now
> goes to "G" after replacing the drive. NO SCSI DEVICES INSTALLED,
nor is
> there a scsi adapter. Ideas on what may be going on here???

Don't think so, have no images copied to, or mounted from HDD, however am
running latest version of Nero software.

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> nero image drive?
>
> "nooneimportant" <no.spam@me> wrote in message
>> Homebuilt machine.... ASUS P4C800E delux Mobo, P4/3.2 ghz proc,
> 512mb ram.
>> Removed my older lite-on 16x dvdROM and upgraded it to a Lite-on 8X
> DVD+-RW
>> DL burner. Fired it back up. My origonal CDRW is visible, so is
> the new
>> DVDRW, however there is an extra drive labeled simply DVD drive in
> explorer,
>> from device manager it calls itselfe a scsi device, removed device
> from
>> device manager, rebooted, still there. Kind of screws things up
> when i turn
>> my printer on and my printers card reader gets bumped to G now
> instead of F
>> (when F shouldn't be there to begin with UNLESS the printer is on!).
> Drive
>> configuration: WD120GBSATA on SATA chanel 1 (C). CDRW Primary
> Master (D),
>> DVDRW Seconday Master (E) (NO slaves on this sytem, makes for speedy
> drive
>> to drive copies!!). Cardreader used to go to "F" when printer was
> on, now
>> goes to "G" after replacing the drive. NO SCSI DEVICES INSTALLED,
> nor is
>> there a scsi adapter. Ideas on what may be going on here???

jad

nero does have 'virtual' drive setup within the install

> Don't think so, have no images copied to, or mounted from HDD,
however am
> running latest version of Nero software.
>

> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> > nero image drive?
> >
> > "nooneimportant" <no.spam@me> wrote in message
> >> Homebuilt machine.... ASUS P4C800E delux Mobo, P4/3.2 ghz proc,
> > 512mb ram.
> >> Removed my older lite-on 16x dvdROM and upgraded it to a Lite-on
8X
> > DVD+-RW
> >> DL burner. Fired it back up. My origonal CDRW is visible, so is
> > the new
> >> DVDRW, however there is an extra drive labeled simply DVD drive
in
> > explorer,
> >> from device manager it calls itselfe a scsi device, removed
device
> > from
> >> device manager, rebooted, still there. Kind of screws things up
> > when i turn
> >> my printer on and my printers card reader gets bumped to G now
> > instead of F
> >> (when F shouldn't be there to begin with UNLESS the printer is
on!).
> > Drive
> >> configuration: WD120GBSATA on SATA chanel 1 (C). CDRW Primary
> > Master (D),
> >> DVDRW Seconday Master (E) (NO slaves on this sytem, makes for
speedy
> > drive
> >> to drive copies!!). Cardreader used to go to "F" when printer
was
> > on, now
> >> goes to "G" after replacing the drive. NO SCSI DEVICES INSTALLED,
> > nor is
> >> there a scsi adapter. Ideas on what may be going on here???

Addendum to first post. Situation has become more unusual. When ejecting
a disk from teh DVDRW drive, and then reinserting another, the old drive
lable and volume number remain, however directory structure is appropriate
to new disk. Causes ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS when trying to install software,
then it can't find itself cus the labels don't match, occasional "please
insert volume number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" errors out of the blue.
REally would rather get rid of that friggen virtual drive letter somehow,
thinking it may resolve the eject but remain issues.....

Any ideas?

"nooneimportant" <no.spam@me> wrote in message
> Homebuilt machine.... ASUS P4C800E delux Mobo, P4/3.2 ghz proc, 512mb ram.
> Removed my older lite-on 16x dvdROM and upgraded it to a Lite-on 8X
> DVD+-RW DL burner. Fired it back up. My origonal CDRW is visible, so is
> the new DVDRW, however there is an extra drive labeled simply DVD drive in
> explorer, from device manager it calls itselfe a scsi device, removed
> device from device manager, rebooted, still there. Kind of screws things
> up when i turn my printer on and my printers card reader gets bumped to G
> now instead of F (when F shouldn't be there to begin with UNLESS the
> printer is on!). Drive configuration: WD120GBSATA on SATA chanel 1 (C).
> CDRW Primary Master (D), DVDRW Seconday Master (E) (NO slaves on this
> sytem, makes for speedy drive to drive copies!!). Cardreader used to go
> to "F" when printer was on, now goes to "G" after replacing the drive. NO
> SCSI DEVICES INSTALLED, nor is there a scsi adapter. Ideas on what may be
> going on here???

jad

look in device manager for the virtual drive or in add/remove programs for
nero virtual drive

> Addendum to first post. Situation has become more unusual. When
ejecting
> a disk from teh DVDRW drive, and then reinserting another, the old drive
> lable and volume number remain, however directory structure is appropriate
> to new disk. Causes ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS when trying to install
software,
> then it can't find itself cus the labels don't match, occasional "please
> insert volume number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" errors out of the blue.
> REally would rather get rid of that friggen virtual drive letter somehow,
> thinking it may resolve the eject but remain issues.....
>
> Any ideas?
>

> "nooneimportant" <no.spam@me> wrote in message
> > Homebuilt machine.... ASUS P4C800E delux Mobo, P4/3.2 ghz proc, 512mb
ram.
> > Removed my older lite-on 16x dvdROM and upgraded it to a Lite-on 8X
> > DVD+-RW DL burner. Fired it back up. My origonal CDRW is visible, so
is
> > the new DVDRW, however there is an extra drive labeled simply DVD drive
in
> > explorer, from device manager it calls itselfe a scsi device, removed
> > device from device manager, rebooted, still there. Kind of screws
things
> > up when i turn my printer on and my printers card reader gets bumped to
> > now instead of F (when F shouldn't be there to begin with UNLESS the
> > printer is on!). Drive configuration: WD120GBSATA on SATA chanel 1
(C).
> > CDRW Primary Master (D), DVDRW Seconday Master (E) (NO slaves on this
> > sytem, makes for speedy drive to drive copies!!). Cardreader used to go
> > to "F" when printer was on, now goes to "G" after replacing the drive.
NO
> > SCSI DEVICES INSTALLED, nor is there a scsi adapter. Ideas on what may
be
> > going on here???

Have removed device from device manager, but it reloads at reboot. Only
nero related options under add/remove progs are for Nero OEM, Nero Media
Player, and NeroVision Express 2...... woudl be happy just being able to
get it to not reload into the device manager.... any idea how to block a
device from being loaded??

nooneimportant wrote:

> Have removed device from device manager, but it reloads at reboot. Only
> nero related options under add/remove progs are for Nero OEM, Nero Media
> Player, and NeroVision Express 2...... woudl be happy just being able to
> get it to not reload into the device manager.... any idea how to block a
> device from being loaded??

Disable it in Device Manager if you don't want to use it.

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> nooneimportant wrote:
>
>> Have removed device from device manager, but it reloads at reboot. Only
>> nero related options under add/remove progs are for Nero OEM, Nero Media
>> Player, and NeroVision Express 2...... woudl be happy just being able
>> to get it to not reload into the device manager.... any idea how to block
>> a device from being loaded??
>
> Disable it in Device Manager if you don't want to use it.

Tried that, several times, keeps renenableing on reboot.

nooneimportant wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>nooneimportant wrote:
>>

>>>Have removed device from device manager, but it reloads at reboot. Only
>>>nero related options under add/remove progs are for Nero OEM, Nero Media
>>>Player, and NeroVision Express 2...... woudl be happy just being able
>>>to get it to not reload into the device manager.... any idea how to block
>>>a device from being loaded??
>>
>>Disable it in Device Manager if you don't want to use it.
>>

> Tried that, several times, keeps renenableing on reboot.

You had said that you REMOVED it from device manager and it, naturally, got
reinstalled.

I said disable, not remove, it.

But if it's being re-enabled then it's definitely part of a software
package that's checking and insisting it be there.