[SOLVED] Extra fans for CM H500 (blank)

Oct 26, 2020
Hello,

I'm building a new system with 5600X (stock cooler) and 1650 super which will be replaced with 3080, 3080 ti or 6800XT depending on how things will turn out on the next months. I already have the CM H500 case which has mesh front panel with 2x200mm fans on front and one exhaust fan (120mm I think) at back. Now top side is empty. I know most people place their AIO cpu cooler radiators there but I will be using stock cooler with my 5600X so I don't need that. Tbh even if I were to buy a cooler, I'd get one of the air coolers from Noctua. With the configurations I've mentioned above, do you think I need to buy extra case fans for the top? I'd also appreciate inputs from people who has been using this case with similar setup.

I don't know if any of it is relevant (maybe mobo?) but here the full part list:

CPU: Ryzen 5600X with stock cooler
GPU: Asus TUF 1650 Super (Will be replaced with either 3080 or 6800XT)
MoBo: Asus TUF x570 plus
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Pusu: CM MWE 750 White
Ram: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz CL16 (2x16gb)

Solution
I have a similar chassis - H500P Mesh - just not the same setup.
Due to the nature of a top-down air cooler, some top exhaust would be beneficial to the cpu. The fan draws air from 'above' it, pushes it down into the heatsink, and that heat spreads out in all directions.

Gonna have to pick your poison if you go with either tower air or a hybrid cooler.
With a tower air cooler, top fans may not be all that helpful: Using a NH-D15S with 2 fans, I found it was better for cpu thermals by leaving the top empty - at the same time top exhaust benefits axial fan cooled gpus which dump most of their waste heat inside the chassis.

Hybrid coolers - with the option of both top and front mount:
Front mount(intake) is best overall for the device...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Due to the nature of a top-down air cooler, some top exhaust would be beneficial to the cpu. The fan draws air from 'above' it, pushes it down into the heatsink, and that heat spreads out in all directions.

Gonna have to pick your poison if you go with either tower air or a hybrid cooler.
With a tower air cooler, top fans may not be all that helpful: Using a NH-D15S with 2 fans, I found it was better for cpu thermals by leaving the top empty - at the same time top exhaust benefits axial fan cooled gpus which dump most of their waste heat inside the chassis.

Front mount(intake) is best overall for the device being cooled and slightly worse for all other devices.
Top mount(exhaust) is the other way around.
Top mount(intake) can work well in specific setups, primarily ones with blower and liquid cooled gpus. Otherwise, it's worse than the other 2.

Solution
Oct 26, 2020

Front mount(intake) is best overall for the device being cooled and slightly worse for all other devices.
Top mount(exhaust) is the other way around.
Top mount(intake) can work well in specific setups, primarily ones with blower and liquid cooled gpus. Otherwise, it's worse than the other 2.

First of all thank you for your input. I've also saw other people who were saying that leaving top empty while using tower cooler is better. If that really is the case I might just go for nh-d15 instead of wasting money on two 140mm case fans. I think that might be the best option.

Edit: Turns out NH-D15 barely fits in CM H500 with only 2mm left. Also it only gives 32mm height for RAM (my trident z neo kits are about 41mm I think). From what I've gathered online, 2nd fan can be adjusted to give space for RAM but then again my h500 doesn't allow you to make that adjustment with only 2mm left. I am not sure where to move on from this. I really don't want to change my ram because those are the only 3600Mhz CL16 RAMs that I could have found. Quite a pickle...

Last edited: