Question Extra Hard drive keeps restarting

Mar 20, 2020
I currently have a pc with 2 hard drives( a 250 gb ssd with win 10 and a 1 tb hdd) and a rtx 580 oc graphics card.
In December, thanks to Christmas sales, I was able to afford a new graphics card for my pc. As someone who only knows very little details on computer hardware, I had to go to the technician who built the PC in the first place. (My old graphics card was late 2000s). Before the installation of the new graphics card, I used to have the ssd as my windows drive and the hdd as the drive for everything else. Since the installation however, I started having various issues with the pc (my pc blue screening often, the pc not even booting, etc). Looking online I got solutions that seem to suggest reformatting and starting over. When I did that, a new set issues popped up. While the pc now switches on without any issues and no longer blue screens, the hdd keeps giving me disk write error. I fully reformatted it again but disk write errors kept coming back. There were also issues where programs would no longer be considered installed despite not a single file having been touched. I went back to the technician and he told me my hdd was too old and charged me money for a new one. The problem came back. Went back, and he charged me for new SATA cables. Been 2 weeks now and I still keep having Windows tell me every 2-5 minutes “New D drive detected”. I am not going back to him as I don’t want to pay for something that doesn’t fix the problem. Unfortunately at the time of writing, I am outside of the house and cannot provide more details. As soon as I get home, I’ll be able too but I would like to know what to do to give the info needed. Also CHKDSK kept trying to fix the drive with nothing changing. I’ll post the log I gave the tech before changing the cables.

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
Information 2/28/2020 4:39:33 AM Chkdsk 26226 None "Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot.

Checking file system on D:
Volume label is New Volume.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
90624 file records processed.

File verification completed.
2 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
3 reparse records processed.

Read failure with status 0xc000000e at offset 0x4a9621e000 for 0x1000 bytes.

Snapshot was deleted. CHKDSK cannot continue.
A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. You can try again, but if this problem persists, run an offline scan and fix.
"

Mar 20, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply. As mentioned, i don't have much knowledge on this kind of stuff but i managed to get a log from DxDiag so is this ok? DxDiag PasteBin Otherwise, could you tell me how to get information i would need to provide?

EDIT: Remembered Speccy. There this too

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4790K
Gigabyte Z97-D3H-CF
24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
XFX Pro Series (750W) XXX Edition PSU

{edited by moderator to add hardware list}

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 20, 2020
PSU info added to the list. Thank you.

Have you tried deleting your iScsi snapshot schedule and then trying check disk again?
Now you've proper lost me. May i ask if you can provide a more indepth explanation as well as how to do so?

Edit: Now that i actually checked on my drive d, it had completely disappeared off the explorer window. Device manager said it's driver was fine and the device was apparently working fine. disabling it and then re enabling it made it come back but now the problem seems to be slightly different. It doesn't keep restarting but however attempting to do anything more than see the basic folders seems to force it to restart again.

Last edited: