[SOLVED] Extra RAM causing the system to freeze (only while gaming)

Dec 20, 2021
I have an HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop with Ryzen 5 4600H in it. It had a 8 GB DDR4 3200MHz CL22 memory stick by Samsung in it out of the box. I purchased a GSkill stick (because I couldn't find original Samsung stick) of exact same configuration and timings and both sticks does get detected properly. But when I game or run a video, after few minutes, the display goes black and never recovers. I have to force shutdown and restart to get it running again. Although, the laptop runs perfect with only 1 of the either stick installed. Also, "wmic" command shows GSkill stick as "Unknown" Although, HWInfo, CPU-Z does show both sticks correctly. What's the issue, please help me.

Last edited:
Solution
Test your ram by itself.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If the test is successful, the problem might lie elsewhere.

For example, running faster in dual channel mode might cause the cpu to run at a higher load and cause thermal throttling.
Dec 20, 2021
Unfortunately mixing sticks is always a gamble, even the exact same make and model can have issues if bought separately. It’s best to buy RAM in matched kits. I would try running the RAM at 2933/3000mhz or even 2600mhz and see if that works.

Thanks for reply
I know that its always a gamble, but I couldn't find Original Samsung RAM anywhere, I can't also reduce RAM frequency as BIOS is locked on laptops.

Test your ram by itself.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.

For example, running faster in dual channel mode might cause the cpu to run at a higher load and cause thermal throttling.

Solution
Dec 20, 2021
Test your ram by itself.

Well, I used Windows Memory Diagnostics at 2 passes, no errors were reported, thermal throttle might be an issue because freeze occurs only during gaming. I don't know how to stop it from thermal throttle, my ambient temperatures are below 20 C, device is only an year old, so thermal paste might be ok.

I still don't get it. How can more RAM increase CPU temps?

Good, your ram addition is ok.

As a theory, with only one stick, you were running in slower single channel mode.
With dual channel, you can run faster, generating more heat.
That also might allow the cpu to push your graphics harder.
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
If you see perhaps 90c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

I do not think repasting a cooler is likely to do much good.
Worse, taking a laptop apart can screw things up.

Dec 20, 2021

As a theory, with only one stick, you were running in slower single channel mode.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%

Well I have been using this laptop for an year, and I can definitely say, it thermal throttles that too very bad. Since the beginning it gets quite heated up. I contacted HP for the same but they were just beating around the bush, telling standard useless methods. I have checked the temperature during Benchmarking or playing Valorant.

The temperature easily touches 90 and sometimes even 100. I have to lock the temperature limit to 95 using Ryzen Controller. Although, it didn't freeze or lag in any task but it was there, so I used Ryzen Controller and the temperature never crossed 95. But I don't know why this is not working with Dual Channel RAM. Or maybe it is working, but it just gets too hot to handle as it works fine for first 10-15 minutes.

The fans and cooler are quite clean. I tried using Windows Power Profile method but it didn't really work. I fixed 90% state but then it just maxed out 56% usage around 1.7 GHz which is not useful at all. Condition prevails when values is set anything below 100 (even 99)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021

What can you do?

Well I found something unusual, something different between these two RAMs, timings.
Although, both have rated timings of 22-22-22-52 but they are running at kinda different timings.
See the screenshot i have attached:
Gskill:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sgdnnwHgGvyYnfXmEPZN57fTqXxLX9uH/view?usp=sharing

Samsung:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XjY5BK-0yHA5LfWiwl0kNmkeVYfeTHWh/view?usp=sharing

Is that a matter of concern?

The motherboard bios has to run all ram at the same settings. No doubt it has done so.
Your memtest shows up clean.
I do not think the differences are part of your problem.

What to do?
  1. run with 8gb.
  2. If you need more than 8gb buy a single 16gb module.
  3. See if you can't do something about cooling.
Perhaps a cooling pad.
Perhaps an aux fan driving more air into the cooling intake.
4. Do you need the portability of a laptop? If not, give up and sell the laptop in favor of a desktop for gaming.

Dec 20, 2021
The motherboard bios has to run all ram at the same settings. No doubt it has done so.
Your memtest shows up clean.
I do not think the differences are part of your problem.

What to do?
  1. run with 8gb.
  2. If you need more than 8gb buy a single 16gb module.
  3. See if you can't do something about cooling.
Perhaps a cooling pad.
Perhaps an aux fan driving more air into the cooling intake.
4. Do you need the portability of a laptop? If not, give up and sell the laptop in favor of a desktop for gaming.
Only viable option is to buy a single module😭🤦‍♂️
I dont think I can do any of these things.
Thanks for help.