Extreme Air Cooling: Our Five-Slot (Quiet) Radeon HD 7970

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazle

Distinguished
that is so sexy... too bad it's not compatible with a 6870, pointless as it seems (to me, at least) , but goddamn, them temps and noise make it hard not to consider the idea....

Seems to me if you're willing to go 140$ or whatnot to cool your Gfx card, you might be interested in water cooling. 80$ for a Noctua and 100+ for this put you into cheap water cooling territory, and while you could easily spend double or more water cooling, that seems the route to take. Just my two cents.

JebbyC

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Why is there an empty slot between the fans and the heatsink? Looks like there could be some space and efficiency savings there. Also, why did you test 120mm fans when 140mm fans are supported?

Where do the additional two fans you haven't tested fit? I guess they might go in the empty slot, but that seems strange to me - why have a fan blowing directly into another fan.

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jebbyc[/nom]Why is there an empty slot between the fans and the heatsink? Looks like there could be some space and efficiency savings there. Also, why did you test 120mm fans when 140mm fans are supported?Where do the additional two fans you haven't tested fit? I guess they might go in the empty slot, but that seems strange to me - why have a fan blowing directly into another fan.[/citation]
its called push/pull you see it on cpu coolers and watercooling all the time. There are 120mm fans available

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
@jebby:
This looks just like an empty slot, but it is not enough and the mounting rail will not fit.
You can still mount up 2 fans horizontally or 140mm fans, but that brings no improvement.

JebbyC

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Push/pull implies fans on either side of the heatsink - it doesn't look to me like there's enough clearance between the main heatsink and the VRM heatsink.

There are 120mm fans available
There are 140mm fans available too, why are you telling me that?

JebbyC

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
This is a HD 7970 problem - the GPU sits higher on the PCB.

it doesn't look to me like there's enough clearance between the main heatsink and the VRM heatsink.
< 10mm ;)

Edit:
I've experimented with different VRM coolers (on some photos you can see a slightly lower silver VRM heatsink) and slim fans but only the big black one (original from EKL) gives you the full performance.

JebbyC

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Cool. It looks like this is a better solution than the GB Windforce X5? Is there any chance of getting an English translation of that review?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Kinda sad that a manufacturer is not able to do this in the first place. Gives the impression that they simply do not care as long as your check clears.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
@JebbyC
The Gigabyte thing is in translation (I hope so) :)

The Windforce 5X @1,25 GHz is (under full load) quieter (!) than a Sapphire Toxic 6GB (1,2 GHz, Tahiti XT2) - thats fact. In a few minutes I will try a showdown between this two cards on 3840 x 3240 (6 cheap monitors, DVI only) and 3 active splitters.

Who wants to bet, can transfer me the money to my private account (which is unfair because I know the result - already) :D

xxplosiv88

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
When I see something like this behemoth, it reminds me that we really have a long way to go in terms of technology. I think you can tell silicone/transistor technology is really starting to hit a brick wall when 5 slot aftermarket VGA coolers come onto the scene. For that matter, stock 3 slot products like the ASUS Mars II go without mentioning too.

G

"On paper, at least, the Peter's specifications are impressive"

My wife says the same thing :-(

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I think it looks like you may not have that installed correctly. After comparing JebbyC's pictures and the close up of yours, it looks like you skipped a slot between the cards mounting screw plates and the brackets mount. The card is mounted in the first and second slot and the bracket is mounted in the fourth, but it looks as though it should be mounted in the third slot so that the bracket is next to the heatsink and thus bringing the fans much closer to the heatsink as it is in the other pictures.

Like this:

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Deepcool-Intros-Dracula-VGA-Heratsink-2.jpg/

I would be very interested to know thermals after you move it up a slot!

That's great ..... you can get within 1C of the Asus 670 TOP and get almost as much performance !

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/32.html

The $430 Asus 670 TOP totals 1770.8 fps in techpowerup's game test suite (999 fps in Guri3D's) and tops out at 74C under load and two cards in SLI take up 4 slots

This $580 7970 Ghz Edition gets 1763.2 fps in techpowerup's game test suite (952 in Guri3D's) and tops out at 75C under load and this single card takes up 5 slots.

Color me unimpressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.