MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I've been trying to achieve the best temps I can on air since I think once you go water, that's cheating :p. The system is in a room @ 65-70 Farenheit.

Temperatures

The system:

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CL-P0024

Fans:

4 Vantec 92mm 119CFM - 2 on CPU Heatsink, 1 Intake, 1 Circulation
2 120mm 96cfm MassCool - 1 Exhaust, 1 Circulation

I plan to add 30 more fans, 10 120mm 77CFM and 20 80mm 40CFM. I will be setting up a "Wall" of fans. I hope to get some pictures of this, once I get a hold of my bro I will get his Digi Camera and snap some shots for ya, it's a pretty Mad Modded Rig. I have 8 sets of Cold Cathode and 1 Liquid Neon CCK as well as L.E.D. RAM and Meteor CCK Lights and 2 Power Supplies.

My goal is Sub-20c for Idle temps on CPU & Mobo and 25c load for CPU w/ Sub 20c for Mobo load, hopefully the 30 fans I add will help me achieve this.

Has anybody else seen lower temperatures than this themselves or by anybody else? I'm interested to see the lowest air temps and what you guys have gotten on your systems.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

slmckenzie

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I dunno, maybe I'm totally on crack, but that post doesn't sound like MMM at all.

Unless he's purposely trying to be funny by bringing up such a strange topic, and not speaking the way he normally does, then something seems fishy about his post.

Notice he doesn't have the "~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time" phrase at the bottom of his post, like he does on ALL other posts?

Like I said, maybe I'm just thinking too hard. I'm really tired and haven't gotten much sleep, and have been staring at a computer screen most of the day. Thusly, I could be entirely off of my rocker. However, that seems fishy to me. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I don't know about the sub -20C temps with 30 fans, but I think you would succeed in turning your computer into a small airplane. It'll prolly sound like your a tornado in your room :lol:

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Sorry mike but I don't think this is gonna happen. The coldest I have seen my cpu and mobo get was 18 cpu and 20 mobo idle (in celcuius).

How I did this was not fun, long story short overnight temps outside dropped to the mid teens and my heat in my house went out. I woke up and it was 30 Fahrenheit in my house, my water line had even frozen. I had to boot up my pc just to check it out.

I have a 120mm themaltake blue orb cpu cooler on my cpu, 3 80mm case fans 1 intake 2 exit, and my psu with a 120mm fan on the bottom pushing into the psu and a 80mm fan on psu pushing out.

I didn’t get to see what it did with full load bc all I had to load it with was FEAR and when its below freezing in your house you have other things to worry about.

One thing I didn’t get was the mobo chipset was hotter than the cpu??? Well that’s what my bios and my monitoring utility said so I guess it is right.

So mike if you want to do this start by moving to a meat packing plant freezer.

BushLin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
My goal is Sub-20c for Idle temps on CPU & Mobo and 25c load for CPU w/ Sub-20c for Mobo load, hopefully the 30 fans I add will help me achieve this.

You'd also need to break the laws of physics, you can't get lower than room temp with just air cooling no matter how many fans you add.

I'd also point out that for all the trouble and cost you're better off trying water cooling... or just but better kit in the first place rather than get a couple more mhz by adding a silly amount of cooling.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
That's cool but with fans you can only achieve no lower than the ambient air temperature. So crank up that a/c to lower your system temps. My system is still on air cooling becuase it's easier to work on but I'm planning my other pc with water cooling. Right now I have 6 fans for my Thermaltake Kandalf, 3 120mm and 3 80mm fans. I works pretty well for air cooling as all of my pc before and I have no problems regarding with heat whatsoever.

hongkongphuey

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
LOL. I would laugh if I saw an Asus Vento fly away at a LAN... It dang near looks like it! I myself have one 120MM, two 80MM, CPU Fan, GPU Fan, one PCI Fan (for the GPU), and one 5.25" Bay Fan so my system is plenty cool, not to loud and is usually 10% faster than those persons with similar systems. Temps really do make a difference, although not with a "wall of fans" That was funny as heck IMO. Thanks for the laughs. :lol:

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
My goal is Sub-20c for Idle temps on CPU & Mobo and 25c load for CPU w/ Sub-20c for Mobo load, hopefully the 30 fans I add will help me achieve this.

You'd also need to break the laws of physics, you can't get lower than room temp with just air cooling no matter how many fans you add.

I'd also point out that for all the trouble and cost you're better off trying water cooling... or just but better kit in the first place rather than get a couple more mhz by adding a silly amount of cooling.

I forgot my tagline, crap!

anyways, I didn't mean sub -20, I was conjunctioning sub and 20 into sub-20, I mean below POSITIVE 20 degrees celcius.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
That's cool but with fans you can only achieve no lower than the ambient air temperature.

That is your reality, I disregard your reality and substitute my own ;).

What I'm really trying to accomplish, is get my Load Temps the same as Idle.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I am really interested to see if he can get enough airflow going through the case to actually make it hover

The case, right now, weights over 40lbs so I don't think it will hover anytime soon. If I just strap all the fans together and throw on the switch, I bet I can get them to hover, I might try that, LOL.

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Heh... maybe... you may be able to cause a hovercraft like effect with having that many fans togeter...
if you put a rubber sirt that overhung by about an inch you'd surenly be able to do it and maybe even hover the case.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Yeah.... so MadModMiguel when are you going to post pictures of your wall of air! I want to see so I can pee my pants! :p

I should have the fans on Monday, provided UPS doesn't slack. I'll have the digi camera sometime in a hour or so and I will take some pics of my desktop how it is, it's pretty slick now but I also want to show my friends PC, he has 50 Fans in his strapped together to cool his Dual AMD Opteron 64's 2.4GHz to 25c Idle and 32c Load. He also has 8 HDD's, 3 DIMM's (Keep tellin' him to get DC!!) and 2 PSU's as well.