Question Extreme amounts of BSOD relating to ntoskrnl.exe for months now..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Treadstone

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
Hi thank you all for taking a look at this! I've been bombarded and to be honest, demoralized by an insane amount of BSODs dating back all the way to early November of 2019. I'm at my wits end, and I'm looking to put a stop to this soon because I'm sure after over at least 100 BSODs (probs closer to 200) this is speeding up the wear and tear on my PC, and that is one thing that I am not gonna let happen. I'm not 100% sure why it's taken me months to consult much better equipped and knowledgeable people to help me with this.

But before, I start, I warn that this is gonna be quite a long post, as I attempt to detail almost everything I could possibly remember (I'm sure I'll miss a few things that will come to mind later on as I reply back though), in order to save everyone some time with trouble-shooting things that I've already done. So bear with me, I hope you guys don't mind the length of this post. Every bit of help is appreciated.

Here below are the Specs of the Self Built PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO RGB Black Edition 57.3CFM
MoBo: MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus (No WiFi ; I run a CAT6 Ethernet @ 1GBps Up/Down)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ICX 11GB GDDR5X
RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill TridentZ NEO 3600MHz CL16 RAM (16-19-19-19-39)
HDD: 2TB Seagate 7200RPM
SSD: 1x 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1x 1TB Samsung 860 EVO
Monitors: 2x MSi Optix MAG240MVC 24" VA Monitor
PSU: 750W G.Skill RIPJAWS 80+ Gold
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed
Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300
Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

I've never come across an issue that I couldn't fix eventually with relentless researching, and some willpower. I've tried, almost everything I can think of or have come across through intense research online. I'm quite sure there is more, and tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, I'm gonna try to do a full Windows Re-installation. I just did one but without wiping personal files and apps. Clearly that did not do anything since it BSOD'd immediately after firing up an actual game in MyLeague NBA2K20. The reason why I'm detailing the game, is because the blue-screens mainly began and still happen with NBA 2K19 mostly; I've just installed NBA 2K20 a few days ago in hopes that a different game would not result in the same BS. I play many other games like Rainbow Six: Siege, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019, Escape from Tarkov, SQUAD, etc and almost none of those games I just listed causes any BSOD issue besides CoD. But somehow NBA 2K games have caused the majority of crashes in terms of games, it's happened 3 times in 2 other games (Kingdoms and Castles & CoD MW) , but again they were just one or two time things and have not happened in months. Maybe 1/3rd of the time I'm using Steam's Remote Play in NBA 2K games with a friend, and they happen then very frequently. I originally thought that was the culprit. Clearly not because it happens when I'm not firing up Remote Play. It happens much less in MyCareer mode, but still every so often. As of the past 2 months, they've been happening a lot in random moments outside of games. Often times I go AFK, have no games running and it's BSOD'd. Things that are running in that moment are Firefox, sometimes Chrome/Brave, EVGA Precision X OC, a surveillance monitoring app I have on the 2nd monitor all the time called Night Owl X CMS, Discord Canary, and Steam.

I have tried many things. Without going into too much detail on each. It is worth noting that a lot of these issues happened after I got my K95 Platinum Keyboard and the GTX 1080 Ti. They could be culprits but I'm not even sure at all. Before my current RAM Kit listed above that I purchased less than a week ago, I was running 2x8 GB of G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz CL14 RAM. BSODs have not changed regardless of different RAM kits. I bought new RAM thinking for sure that it was a faulty RAM stick or both. Clearly not.

Below is a list of almost everything I've tried, and some haven't tried. Most are bad news or inconclusive:
- Reseating RAM sticks / switching them around too on both Kits

• Running single stick for at least 12 hours on both Kits
    • Ran Memtest x86 on both Kits for 4 passes about twice each because they make you pay for the whole damn thing if you want 8 passes; all of which have come up clean
    • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic on both kits for a total of 6 times or so by now all of which have come up clean of errors
    • Disabled A-XMP Profiles on both kits, single or dual
    • Ran single and dual sticks at stock / base 2133MHz & 2400 MHz memory, same and consistent BSODs
    • Manually OC'd RAM sticks to advertised speeds in BIOS, still BSOD
    • Updated BIOS through every iteration listed on the Manufacturer's Website
    • Updated AMD Chipset Driver straight from the Manufacturer's Website
    • Updated RealTek PCIe Lan to the latest driver straight from the Manufacturer's Website
    • Updated RealTek HD UAD Audio to the latest driver straight from the Manufacturer's Website
    • Ran PC through both Prime95 & IntelBurnTest for 14-16 back to back at maximum to stress it and see if it causes a BSOD, none.
    • Ran Windows Driver Verifier many times through regular use (no games); always says ntoskrnl.exe when checking through Windbg, BlueScreenViewer, WhoCrashed
    • Attempted to try and cause a BSOD with Driver Verifier after 3 straight BSODs in less than 12 hours, 2 from game, 1 when AFK. This took 3 tries totaling some 16 hours of both playing and letting the game sit idle with and without alt-tab before it finally BSOD'd overnight when I was asleep. The result when checking BlueScreenViewer? ntoskrnl.exe. (I know it's not the blame)
    • Updated all drivers both auto-search through Windows Update or Manual Update in the following Device Manager categories Audio inputs & outputs, Disk Drives, Display Adapters, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, Keyboards, Mice & Other Pointing Devices, Network Adapters, Ports (COM & LPT)
Sound, Video and Game Controllers, Storage Controllers, System Devices, USB & Xbox Peripherals

• Because I play a lot of sports Games, I use a controller, and I've attempted to look for updates to the Xbox Controllers thinking they could be the issue. Haven't been successful. BSODs happen with or without controller plugged in via USB.
    • Updated Firmware and Driver for iCUE (Corsair Keyboard app)
    • Updated Firmware and Driver for Kingston HyperX Cloud II headset + upgraded Audio Control Box (physical upgrade)
    • Updated Steelseries Engine Firmware & Driver for Steelseries Rival 300 Mouse
    • Installed every Windows Update since November 2019
    • Reinstalled windows 5 hours ago, without removing Personal Apps & Files. Have not tried clean wipe yet.
    • Have even rolledback Window Updates several times
    • Ran DDU to uninstall Nvidia Drivers completely in Safe Mode, reinstall current or updated Drivers. Still BSOD like crazy. I've even tried rolling back Drivers a few or just right before the October 2019 updates.
    • Uninstalled and Reinstalled GPU in Device Manager
    • Updated via Auto-Search and Manually via Device Manager for the GPU as stated before.
    • Also ran PC through Heavens Unigine 4.0, Valley Benchmark, Furmark through both Graphics and CPU Stress Test for hours, no BSODs
    • Have run Cinebench R15 & R20 without causing any BSODs
    • Just ran 3DMark yesterday, and this is where it gets interested but again, I'm not sure. The benchmark wouldn't ever finish because it gets an error on the Graphics 2 Test. It happened 3 times, and on the 4th yesterday it BSOD'd, giving me the stopcode "Bad Pool Caller"; It's worth noting that my 1080 Ti score obviously is skewed but without overclock, without G-Sync running, it gets at most 9270 scored which is much lower than most 1080 Ti scores I've seen. GPU doesn't struggle in any games I play, regardless of settings at upscaled 1440p even on Ultra cranking well over 100 fps.
    • Ran games with and without temp / performance monitoring softwares(HWInfo, Precision X OC, AMD Ryzen Master, Dragon Center, etc). Under full load from heavy and intensive benchmarks, neither GPU or CPU exceed 72C ever on average. In games, never seen either above 70C. By sense, when I place my hand on the PC, it's never hot either, just to make sure the readings are remotely accurate and nothing is really frying inside.
    • I use Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste on my CPU with more than enough.
    • Have tried SFC/ Scannow numerous times on all drives; same with Chkdsk. All positive results.
    • Defrag every 2-3 weeks or so, no change.
    • Using Computer in Power Saver Mode vs Balanced and AMD Ryzen Balanced Power Mode

These are all I can think of for now, there are probably more. I've done almost everything short of reinstalling Windows entirely and wiping the C Drive clean (I did in September 2019) since the BSODs happened, I have yet to update BIOS for my specific GPU because I haven't figured out how to properly do it or if any drivers listed on TechPowerUp's website are official drivers, nor do I know how to back the original BIOS update. Haven't taken it to a technician's store to have it looked at either.

The most frequent Stopcode Errors I get are (in no specific order):
- KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE

• KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL
    • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    • SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    • KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Occasionally a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION , KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE, KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION _ATTEMPTED_TO_WRITE_READONLY_MEMORY , DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, APC_INDEX_MISMATCH here and there.

As of late, there's been a big increase in, almost all happening outside of a game:

• ATTEMPTED_TO_EXECUTE_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
    [*]PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Most of the blamed "driver address" are ntoskrnl.exe in fact I'm willing to say about 98% of them are. Other times there's been FLTMGR.SYS, BAM.sys, Npfs.sys and HAL.dll based on BlueScreenViewer, WhoCrashed, and Windbg. I reinstalled Windows entirely back in September 2019, with some of the same BSODs, like System Service Exception, Kmode Exception Not Handled, and IRQL Not Less or Equal. But after reinstall they were gone for 2 months. Before September I've never had more than 1 BSOD on this same computer despite vastly different parts across the board. Another thing worth addressing is when mid game especially in the 2K sports games, the game crashes a lot, and I'm not sure if that's a driver acting up or the game itself being poorly optimized. When it doesn't crash, it blue-screens or if neither, the Surveillance Camera app NightOwlX CMS crashes inexplicably everytime. Sometimes Discord crashes along with Precision X OC. This does not happen in any other game, aside from when it happens randomly with no games running.

I've done everything short of reinstalling Windows entirely again, updating GPU BIOS (if it's possible for mine), taking it to a local technician and pay to have it resolved, or just straight up shooting it.

I have the last 11 or so BSODs within the last 2 days, uploaded to OneDrive. Any previous ones I've missed, which is a lot, I have 3-4 BSODs copied and pasted into a text file; I'll copy and paste in a reply if need be, but below are the 11 dumps

Mini-Dump Links:

03/09/2020

03/11/2020

03/12/2020

03/13/2020 (1)

03/13/2020 (2)

03/13/2020 (3)

03/13/2020 (4)

03/14/2020 (1)

03/14/2020 (2)

03/14/2020 (3)

03/15/2020

Again, any bit of help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for taking your time to read this extremely long post!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I only suggested AV if you didn't have a printer but since you do, it wasn't as suspect. Just rare to see.

I can see you have a TS9100 Series canon, I don't see the other one. Does the other still show in device manager (you might need to go into view and set it to show hidden devices)

Can you run this - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is shows a list of Drivers installed on PC. It doesn't update, its not that sort of software.
Can you go into view tab and set it to hide all MIcrosoft drivers, will make list much shorter
Can you show me a screenshot showing from (and including) Driver name to (and including) Creation date.
upload it to an image sharing website and show link here.
MIght tell me if you do have 2 printer drivers installed.

fltmgr.exe in almost every bsod. its the File System FIlter Manager... i look it up enough . ntfs.sys also mentioned... ntfs is the file system... both are part of windows..

have you ever run Samsung Magician on the ssd and checked its health (it lets you run benchmarks and has SMART built in) - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/
its probably okay, just throwing stuff at wall. both files mentioned above make me think its storage since you checked ram already

both those files also often appear in driver related errors which doesn't help.

_Treadstone

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
I only suggested AV if you didn't have a printer but since you do, it wasn't as suspect. Just rare to see.

I can see you have a TS9100 Series canon, I don't see the other one. Does the other still show in device manager (you might need to go into view and set it to show hidden devices)

Can you run this - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is shows a list of Drivers installed on PC. It doesn't update, its not that sort of software.
Can you go into view tab and set it to hide all MIcrosoft drivers, will make list much shorter
Can you show me a screenshot showing from (and including) Driver name to (and including) Creation date.
upload it to an image sharing website and show link here.
MIght tell me if you do have 2 printer drivers installed.

fltmgr.exe in almost every bsod. its the File System FIlter Manager... i look it up enough . ntfs.sys also mentioned... ntfs is the file system... both are part of windows..

have you ever run Samsung Magician on the ssd and checked its health (it lets you run benchmarks and has SMART built in) - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/
its probably okay, just throwing stuff at wall. both files mentioned above make me think its storage since you checked ram already

both those files also often appear in driver related errors which doesn't help.

I've ran Driverview before. Unfortunately I looked for the Canon folder and deleted the old Canon MX340 folder. Looked at device manager to see the printer list, and it didn't even have my current TS9100, but that's because I refreshed the OS and forgot to set it up again. The old printer is gone.

Below is the screenshot of the Non Microsoft Drivers. I do notice that I don't see the printer drivers on here anywhere. I am unsure why. I also see CPUZ149_x64.sys; not sure what it is outside of the fact that CPU-Z is the monitoring program, that I don't believe I have or have ever installed.

Non-Microsoft Drivers ~ Driverview

As for Samsung Magician, no I have not. I have run chkdsk /f and /r on top of /sfc scannow commands in the command prompt. I have however, ran Seagate's SeaTool on all the drives, and the results were all good.

I'm gonna download and run Samsung Magician now and see what's gonna happen.

_Treadstone

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
if you get any more dumps, please add links. I am not sure if its happening still or not?

Oh there have been plenty of BSODs haha

But I've pretty much narrowed down the issue to a few things. Either it's the processor, power supply or it's the motherboard. On the 11th of April I did a normal OS reinstallation where I just wiped the drive but retained the files. About 3-4 days ago I swapped out my current GTX 1080 Ti back to my former GTX 1070 Ti, just to see if it was my 1080 Ti. It went well for about 8 hours before a slew of blue screens.
Then I did a regular wipe of the C drive and reinstalled the OS, when I had originally planned to do a full wipe which would've taken several hours but something important came up so went with a regular wipe instead. About 2 hours after the install it blue-screened, twice. I realized the GTX 1070 Ti didn't have to reinstall drivers for itself; it was using the driver that was installed with the 1080 Ti I swapped out, and assumed maybe using the same driver was a bad idea. I decided to try and run DDU, which I've done several times. It required me to go into Safe Mode to do so, and as always, makes me type in my account password. Usually this is a breeze, but this time, I was locked out of my computer entirely. No passwords would work, the password I use everyday and all the time no longer worked. I even went into my Microsoft account that the login is linked to, resetted the password (triple checked) and restarted the computer then used the same password and it still wouldn't work. So without a choice, I did a complete wipe of the C Drive, even opted to zero it overnight. Set it all up in the morning by the 19th of April and I still retained the enormous amount of blue-screens. In fact since then, all the dump sizes are significantly larger.

These blue-screens happened often with fresh and basic drivers, only 2 things installed. Firefox and Discord. Several times, it blue-screened with just Firefox or Discord (one or the other) running. I'm 99% sure it's come down to a hardware problem, and I'm leaning towards the Motherboard itself. Looking through online for people with the same exact MoBo (Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus)I've seen some reviews and even some posts here on Toms Hardware where people have run into a ton of BSODs. I think I just have a faulty board, which is why it's blamed so many different things but the actual issue itself.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Gardenman, the guy who converts the dump files into a format I can read.

It probably is hardware if you only had 2 programs running... I assume printer wasn't attached?

Motherboards are impossible to test. Only way is to test everything else and once you know it all works, it has to be MB. I generally suggest getting PC looked at if you at this stage, as good repair shops would have spare parts they can swap in to make isolate problem easier than guessing. I may have said this already, I am not rich and don't assume others are as well.

Reactions: _Treadstone

_Treadstone

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
Gardenman, the guy who converts the dump files into a format I can read.

It probably is hardware if you only had 2 programs running... I assume printer wasn't attached?

Motherboards are impossible to test. Only way is to test everything else and once you know it all works, it has to be MB. I generally suggest getting PC looked at if you at this stage, as good repair shops would have spare parts they can swap in to make isolate problem easier than guessing. I may have said this already, I am not rich and don't assume others are as well.

Ah, yes! Gardenman!

2 programs running, multiple fresh OS installs. Printer is off 99% of the time unless I need to use it then I turn on my TS9120. A ton of blue-screens since. Not just that, but both other drives outside of the C Drives were unplugged, until last night.

As for repair shop, I bought most of the parts from the local Microcenter. So I'll be taking it there and since they're open. The Motherboard is the only thing I bought insurance/warranty on when I purchased it last August. So hopefully I can swap it out or switch to a different motherboard and just have to pay the difference for it.

_Treadstone

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
@gardenman @Colif

Here are the last 16 BSODs since the first one of April 19th.

The 11:19 PM / 23:19 of the 04/19/2020 dump; that file dump was after a fresh OS install and since then the dump files have been 4x larger in size. Not sure what is up with that. A few of these have come up with new codes like "RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED", "REFERENCE_BY_POINTER" & "QUOTA_UNDERFLOW". More and more common is the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". Before they crash, a lot of times now, it's more evident that the mouse may skip around or stutter a few times. Many times at random without a single game running. In fact a bunch of the 16 files don't have a game running or causing it. Random apps also crash or restart on their own.

I highlighted 16 of the dump files from my OneDrive to share, so I am not sure if that works with a single link.
Let me know!

gardenman

Splendid
highlighted 16 of the dump files from my OneDrive to share, so I am not sure if that works
It worked. I try to keep the file size down of the results page so I'm going to do the last 10 files only. I can do the others if needed later.

Results: https://redolentpool.htmlpasta.com/
File information:042220-7062-01.dmp (Apr 22 2020 - 11:53:34)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)

File information:042120-6890-01.dmp (Apr 21 2020 - 16:52:59)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

File information:042020-5515-01.dmp (Apr 20 2020 - 18:30:56)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL (192)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

File information:042020-5500-01.dmp (Apr 20 2020 - 18:42:54)
Bugcheck:RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED (E3)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

File information:042020-5203-01.dmp (Apr 20 2020 - 23:23:46)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL (192)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ChsIME.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)

File information:042020-5171-01.dmp (Apr 20 2020 - 23:22:40)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

File information:041920-9406-01.dmp (Apr 19 2020 - 15:48:18)
Bugcheck:QUOTA_UNDERFLOW (21)
Probably caused by:afd.sys (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)

File information:041920-8640-01.dmp (Apr 19 2020 - 18:13:41)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE (162)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

File information:041920-8625-01.dmp (Apr 19 2020 - 09:59:31)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: SrTasks.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

File information:041920-8390-01.dmp (Apr 19 2020 - 17:05:17)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:dxgmms2.sys (Process: ModernWarfare.)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

gardenman

Splendid
No, I've seen 1000's of dumps come through here and they really vary in size. I guess it just depends on what all info is included with them. Many don't include the BIOS section so those dumps are usually smaller. All of your did. I'm sure there are other reasons they are of different size but I wouldn't worry about it, they are intact and not corrupt.

Reactions: _Treadstone

_Treadstone

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
One more thing I'd like to mention is that an increasingly common aspect of these blue-screens have been happening back to back within a minute of one another. It BSODs, it restarts and either I just typed the password and press enter to login before I even get to see the desktop background and everything it blue-screens again. Or it's blue-screening when loading. These are all happening not long ago clean and fresh OS reinstallations.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i never ever want to see new BSOD again... there, I said it. Stop already (sorry, I sometimes wish to see new BSOD and now I wish I wouldn't)

Can't say I seen Quota underflow before but as ADF.sys is tied to LAN functions, I could guess that is lan drivers. Fact it crashed Discord makes it even more obvious.
Last bsod blames DirectX. I don't think I have ever seen that not be GPU drivers

most of them mention fltmgr.sys which is the Windows File system filter manager.
fileinfo.sys is also mentioned, its another filter driver
as in bindflt.sys - Windows Bind Filter driver (never seen this many filter drivers in one sitting) - Error 9 might be LAN as well as this one seems to tie into NDIS which is LAN drivers.

A filter driver is a Microsoft Windows driver that extends or modifies the function of peripheral devices or supports a specialized device in the personal computer. It is a driver or program or module that is inserted into the existing Driver Stack to perform some specific function.

They aren't cause, they just whats crashing. None of the errors mention any drivers, its only the last one that is obviously GPU drivers.

one crashed SrTasks.exe which is Microsoft Windows System Protection background tasks. I had to look it up to find out what it was. Not normal.

So 7 & 9 are likely LAN drivers, 10 was Nvidia drivers.
3 & 5 could be LAN drivers as well, I think that error is usually LAN drivers
IRQ error crashing firefox, I would blame the realtek lan drivers again

newest realtek drivers - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

As for Nvidia, they are newest drivers but that is actually bad.
try running DDU in safe mode and once you removed nvidia drivers, run windows update and let it find your GPU and suggest drivers.

BUT With something attached that isn't right, none of these errors might be pointing at right cause.

Last edited:

_Treadstone

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
i never ever want to see new BSOD again... there, I said it. Stop already (sorry, I sometimes wish to see new BSOD and now I wish I wouldn't)

Can't say I seen Quota underflow before but as ADF.sys is tied to LAN functions, I could guess that is lan drivers. Fact it crashed Discord makes it even more obvious.
Last bsod blames DirectX. I don't think I have ever seen that not be GPU drivers

most of them mention fltmgr.sys which is the Windows File system filter manager.
fileinfo.sys is also mentioned, its another filter driver
as in bindflt.sys - Windows Bind Filter driver (never seen this many filter drivers in one sitting) - Error 9 might be LAN as well as this one seems to tie into NDIS which is LAN drivers.

A filter driver is a Microsoft Windows driver that extends or modifies the function of peripheral devices or supports a specialized device in the personal computer. It is a driver or program or module that is inserted into the existing Driver Stack to perform some specific function.

They aren't cause, they just whats crashing. None of the errors mention any drivers, its only the last one that is obviously GPU drivers.

one crashed SrTasks.exe which is Microsoft Windows System Protection background tasks. I had to look it up to find out what it was. Not normal.

So 7 & 9 are likely LAN drivers, 10 was Nvidia drivers.
3 & 5 could be LAN drivers as well, I think that error is usually LAN drivers
IRQ error crashing firefox, I would blame the realtek lan drivers again

newest realtek drivers - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

As for Nvidia, they are newest drivers but that is actually bad.
try running DDU in safe mode and once you removed nvidia drivers, run windows update and let it find your GPU and suggest drivers.

BUT With something attached that isn't right, none of these errors might be pointing at right cause.

I just went to Microcenter yesterday to get a diagnostic done, assuming it was the Motherboard that was acting up. I got there and told them exact what the issues were that I was facing. Showed them what it is that I've done over the past few months. Unfortunately because of the lockdown, they've been so backed up with shelves of computers, mostly Macbooks due to Apple Stores being closed and those customers coming to Microcenter because they're an authorized repair spot. Anyway, due to that they never ever even got close to diagnosing my computer given 4 hours of time had passed. At the same time while I was waiting I had been in the store consulting of their salesman about a specific Motherboard that I wanted, and told them about my MSi Motherboard and it turns out the salesman himself had the same one in his personal computer that would not stop blue-screening in the same manner as mine. Even all the random mouse skipping and stutters before a BSOD. So I bought an ASUS Prime X570 Pro motherboard and swapped the MSi out since I had still had warranty and insurance on it.

Everything was great, roughly 14 hours of continuous uptime and use on the computer, no crashes. Everything ran fluently until 1 pm in the afternoon when I tested it with an actual game for the first time, I started Modern Warfare and it blue-screened immediately. In fact, twice within 5 minutes of each other. It was really depressing. especially considering having dropped over $300 to find a solution only to fail once again. I went to some other friends to let them know that it happened even with new motherboard as they had previously suggested. Somewhere along the conversation, they mentioned a video from a YouTuber we followed named JayZTwoCents making a video about how one of his computer didn't "like" a voltage being too low that was causing BSODs. And suddenly they asked me if I had ever messed with the voltage. I have never touched the voltage, period. Not with the old Motherboard, and definitely not with the new one. Was told many times early on when Ryzen 3000 released that the voltage is automatically adjusted so I never bothered with it, and I just let it do its thing without interfering because AMD had boosted the CPU out of the box to the maximum "stable" voltage. Kind of like GPU Boost. Well.. that is where my problem seemed to have been coming from. My voltage when looking through Ryzen Master was at 1.4895 volts I believe, occasionally spiking to 1.500 volts. Which was waaaay higher than anyone would be comfortable with especially at idle. Even worse in BIOS it was sitting between 1.49 to 1.51 and even hit 1.52 once when I glanced at it. That may explain the motherboard having a slightly oily wet stain on the back, with a different fade of black on the PCB, when I swapped it out in Microcenter. The stain mark was sitting right next to the CPU socket, where the VRM, and the VRM heatsinks are. I found the very same oily substance possibly having leaked onto the backplate of my old 1070 Ti that I switched out for at some point.

It has been a bit over 12 hours since I've changed the voltage way back down to 1.345V, a much safer voltage. And since then, I've purposely decided to play Modern Warfare, on top of letting it sit in menu was tabbed out for a total of 6 hours. I did the same exact thing with NBA 2K20. Neither of these were previously remotely playable as they would crash, or BSOD within the first 10 minutes of starting a game, or BSOD when tabbed out running in the background. Nothing has happened, all is running smoothly on top of having many other apps running.

I'm not saying this is conclusive just yet, I had gone through a 10-11 day period when nothing crashed in the past 6 months. But these 2 things or changes were immediately apparent and visible right after cranking down to a much more stable voltage.

I'll wait out for a week before drawing some sort of conclusions.
For now here are the last 4 blue-screens. The last 2 were on the new Motherboard.

Will continue to keep you guys posted if anything happens!

Last edited:

_Treadstone

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
Did you clean install win 10 on new motherboard?

I did not, exactly. But in a way, it was. Because I did full clean (zeroed the drive and everything) the hard drive, installed Windows onto it hours before I brought the whole PC to Microcenter. The drive had 3-4 programs installed. Firefox, Discord, and Battle net which I was allowing them to use and run Modern Warfare if they were to diagnose it and wanted to recreate BSODs. Idk if that counts considering the Windows installation was 2-3 hours fresh.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/fejSUyfN
File information:042420-10968-01.dmp (Apr 24 2020 - 13:36:53)
Bugcheck:CACHE_MANAGER (34)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

File information:042420-10906-01.dmp (Apr 24 2020 - 13:31:47)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ModernWarfare.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 27 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

File information:042320-5562-01.dmp (Apr 23 2020 - 03:31:02)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: GameBar.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:042320-5531-01.dmp (Apr 23 2020 - 03:26:20)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)
Note: Due to the way my software works, you'll see both the old and new motherboards listed, along with 2 different versions of BIOS and other things. That is normal since it's dumps from 2 different systems (a motherboard is a system). I'm assuming we are looking at the 2 newest dumps only, which will be the 1st two.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

_Treadstone

Reputable
Mar 15, 2020
It still might have drivers on it that match the old motherboard it was installed on.

I won't jump to conclusions until I look at the dumps.

@gardenman might be an idea to just look at the 2 newest.

I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/fejSUyfN
File information:042420-10968-01.dmp (Apr 24 2020 - 13:36:53)
Bugcheck:CACHE_MANAGER (34)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

File information:042420-10906-01.dmp (Apr 24 2020 - 13:31:47)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ModernWarfare.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 27 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

File information:042320-5562-01.dmp (Apr 23 2020 - 03:31:02)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: GameBar.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:042320-5531-01.dmp (Apr 23 2020 - 03:26:20)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)
Note: Due to the way my software works, you'll see both the old and new motherboards listed, along with 2 different versions of BIOS and other things. That is normal since it's dumps from 2 different systems (a motherboard is a system). I'm assuming we are looking at the 2 newest dumps only, which will be the 1st two.

Since it's still early, I could definitely still wipe the drive again and reinstall a fresh OS. Would that be highly recommended because of potential residual drivers from the previous motherboard?

Colif

Win 11 Master
All of the drivers look okay for an Asus board

Did you install the intel processor diagnostic tool?
May 01 2013 - WinRing0x64.sys - Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool or BatteryCare by OpenLibSys.org or Throttlestop (Properties say: OpenLibSys.org) or EVGA Precision X https://www.evga.com/

or one of the others it mentions?

I think the 2nd BSOD caused by Nvidia drivers. Try running DDU and use older Nvidia drivers or run windows update after DDU and let windows install drivers for the card
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

I cannot tell what caused top one.

Status
Not open for further replies.