Extreme ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Frustration

Jothcra

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a new old stock ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (not the GEN 3 version) for my build and have had nothing but problems and frustration so far.

Here is my build:

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
CPU: Intel i5 3570k (yes, I know this board needs a BIOS update to work with this CPU, so I acquired a Celeron G540 for that task and that is what is currently in the board)
RAM: 2x4GB GSkill Ares DDR3-1600
No GPU as of yet, using the integrated graphics until my GPU comes in
HDD: WD Caviar Black SATA 6.0 1TB
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W

Everything is connected; 24 pin mobo power, 8 pin cpu power, everything is seated properly, etc.

When I press the power button on my case, the board will not boot. The troubleshooting LEDs for the RAM and CPU light up briefly. The RAM light turns off almost immediately but the CPU light stays on until the board automatically shuts off. This whole process from button press to shutdown lasts approximately half a second. Turning the board on via the onboard power button yields identical results.

What the heck is going on here? Any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Your celeron does not support 1600 MHz speed memory http://ark.intel.com/products/53416/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G540-(2M-Cache-2_50-GHz) just a guess but I would bet that is your problem to start with. You might have to overclock the celeron to get the memory to work. Also check the CMOS battery for 3.3vdc, You can try to underclock the memory for the celeron then update the BIOS then put your other processor in, that should the trick.