Extreme Disk Usage when doing...nothing!

Ghost Ookami

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013
I have been having this problem where my PC slows down and pretty much locks up for no apparent reason, it happens randomly for about 5-10 minutes then goes away. If I have task manager open and check the disk usage often times nothing is even showing that much usage at all, certainly not to warrant the 99% of current disk usage. However just now I was able to get a screenshot of 2 things using a ton of disk and if someone could help me understand it and help me work on a fix that would be great because this shouldn't be happening.

http://i.imgur.com/uJz1AxX.jpg

I put a red box on the those 2 because both of them at one point were showing full disk usage, and at another point something else did . But as you can also see, my disk being 99% used but only shows 1 program using a total of 16%...wtf?! That happens more often than not.

This has been plaguing me for a month and after testing all my hardware and software I have run into a wall. There isn't very much installed on this machine either.

Solution
is this an upgrade? If so, one way to fix high HDD usage after an upgrade is a fresh install.

high system & reserved memory usage after a upgrade is a classic...

download win 10 media creation tool

Make win 10 Installation DVD or USB (your choice). Clean install, forget about 100% hdd usage :)

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
didn't give us any info about your specs and OS! If you have windows 10 try these(think they work on 8.1 as well):

-go to settings, system, notifications, and turn off "show me tips about Windows."

-Disable SuperFetch and Windows Search Services

How to disable:

Press the Windows key + 'R' to launch the Run dialogue box
Type "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Scroll to Superfetch, right-click, and select Properties
In the Startup type drop-down menu, select Disabled, then select OK
Scroll to Windows Search, right-click, and select Properties
Click the Stop box, use the Startup type drop-down menu,, select Disable, and hit OK

Ghost Ookami

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013

Sorry, a bit tired.

W10 x64
Fx-8350
Gtx 760
8gb Ram
HDD

This is by far the strangest and most irritating problem because it is affecting other programs such as Skype for instance, it will lock up skype just for making a group call. And Adobe flash player is also messing up as well. No idea what is causing this issue but its frustrating as all get out. I am not sure if something is conflicting or what but there isn't many things installed on this pc so Idk what it could be.

Hi there Ghost Ookami,

I would also say that you can disable these Win Services and see if this will sort the issue out.
Also, you can check this thread out: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3h4wjg/windows_10_high_disk_usage_100_ive_seen_a_thread/
Navigate to the part where users talk about Virtual Memory adjustment. I believe you will need to adjust your page file size.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Ghost Ookami

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013

I will give these a shot thanks, will report in a bit