'Extreme Edition' CPUs are not worth your money

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
UM... retard... of COURSE they aren't "worth the money". who said they were?

the money people pay for those are the ones that:
A. have cash lying around in stacks.
B. need to be on the "cutting edge"

of course it's not WORTH it. but if you WANT it, then there you go

It's all relative.
I see so many people trying save $5 here and $10 there. I guess maybe it's because most are still in school and depend on an allowance from mommy and daddy?
Or maybe they just don't have the cash to go with top of the line stuff, and need to budget for the best value possible. But you know what, there are people out there that do make very good money, and spending $1000 on a processor is no big deal, if that is what they want.
For me, I tend to look for value in PC parts, I don't really do anything that needs more and my PC does exactly what I need it to.
But on the other hand, I drive a Hummer, and a lot of people ask me "how in the heck do you afford the gas for that thing?" Well, you know what, if I can afford the Hummer, you can damn well bet that putting gas in it doesn't send me to the poorhouse. I could have bought a Geo Metro, but I can afford the Hummer, and that is what I wanted, so that is what I bought. Notice the word "bought".
Not to be confused with "on credit" or "lease", which most people today don't seem to understand there is a difference.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

Opinion != trolling (at least not necessarily...)

I'll share my opinion as well--take it or leave it:

Do what works for you. People who have the dough to spend are going to buy the bleeding edge stuff. Is it worth it? Usually not, but it's not YOUR money they're spending. It's theirs. Let them blow their wad and be the testers.