Extreme edition intel processor and gaming

Fixadent

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Does having a $1,000+ extreme edition Intel processor give any substantial gain in gaming performance?

Are there any games yet that make use of more than four cores?

Solution
all the benching on guru3d is done with a 5960.
i have yet to see a gpu test, where its not significantly faster than what i expected (vs my 3770k).
it does get lesser the higher the res (your playing at), but i dont game above 1440 so i would still gain a bit.

almost all new games do run on more cores.
BF is actually using 8.
since we still have the OS/AV and other stuff, i dont see a reason not to go with more than 8C if you have the cash for it.

do recommend to wait for the 8C/16T reviews of ryzen which beats intels 6900 while at least 500$ cheaper.

i know i'll get a 8 or 6C amd instead of the 5820, but mainly because of price and a "future proof" socket (AM4),
so i dont have a problem upgrading in 2y.

Fixadent

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016

So a 7700K might have higher gaming performance than an extreme edition i7?

The 6 and 8-core processors typically have lower clock speeds because of power consumption and thermal concerns.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
all the benching on guru3d is done with a 5960.
i have yet to see a gpu test, where its not significantly faster than what i expected (vs my 3770k).
it does get lesser the higher the res (your playing at), but i dont game above 1440 so i would still gain a bit.

almost all new games do run on more cores.
BF is actually using 8.
since we still have the OS/AV and other stuff, i dont see a reason not to go with more than 8C if you have the cash for it.

do recommend to wait for the 8C/16T reviews of ryzen which beats intels 6900 while at least 500$ cheaper.

i know i'll get a 8 or 6C amd instead of the 5820, but mainly because of price and a "future proof" socket (AM4),
so i dont have a problem upgrading in 2y.

Solution

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
i dont understand why u need to drop $1000 on a cpu. what are u actually after here?
as u stated ur running 1440.
well not tryin to put u on the spot but ur spending money in the wrong places i think.
get a 4k set up and be done with that then bring everything else up to speed to the monitor(s)
ur putting effort into something that has no gain because ur monitor is the bottle neck. no matter what u do to the system, the monitor can only produce what its capable of aint it?

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
A. never said i will buy the 6900 (if, its the 5820).

B. who said i need a 4K screen?
my 1440 is already 32", so unless you know a (name brand) 10bit UHD screen for sub 700, that is larger than 32in, let me know ;-)

C. who said i only game with it? ever done photo/video editing and/or encoding on an athlon x2 or i3? (sarcasm mode: off)

D. and i tend to buy stuff for "the long run", as i dont fix/build computers (as job) anymore, and dont sell my hardware as fast as i could a few years ago.
i wont buy anything less than 6C/12T, and unless the lowest clocked (8C) ryzen is over 350$, i will actually get the amd...

monitor isnt bottlenecking me in anyway.
besides that, there things like DSR or to improve IQ in games and they tend to use lots of power WITHOUT running UHD screen.
and i can have only the cpu do physx, which will free some "HP" on my gpu (as my i7-3770 is faster in physx than a 1070).

TRENDING THREADS