[SOLVED] Extreme FPS drops and stutters.

Aug 13, 2019
I bought my PC one year ago from zoostorm, the specs are= (from speccy)
CPU=i7-7700 (4GHz overclocked)
GPU=GTX 1050 Ti 4GB (safe/little overclock)
RAM= 8GB @ 1064MHz
MOBO=H110M-R
HDD= 931GB WDC WD10EZEX-60WN4A0

It's becoming more noticeable during gaming where my fps such as fortnite where fps can even drop to 1-30fps with the fps spikes. They're common and frequent. I've noticed it gets even worse when i have any other applications open such as opera, it also happens in pretty much all my games. How do i fix these fps spikes? they make games unplayable.
speccy while idle (downloading a game)= http://prntscr.com/os73eg

Solution
8gb of ram is low, most games will use that up quickly and resort to retrieving info from the HDD which is a slower process them accessing RAM, 16 gb of RAM is recommended for most games. Your HDD also is causing you issues as they trend to run slower and thus cause your stuttering. Upgrading to a SSD and to 16GB of RAM would likely fix your issues.

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
that ram speed is awfully slow, especially for DDR4, plus using a single stick of ram isn't great either, i would suggest buy either a 2x4gb stick of 2400 Mhz ram or a similar speed 2x8gb to give 16gb of ram. could you link the specific system from zoostorm?

Aug 3, 2019
8gb of ram is low, most games will use that up quickly and resort to retrieving info from the HDD which is a slower process them accessing RAM, 16 gb of RAM is recommended for most games. Your HDD also is causing you issues as they trend to run slower and thus cause your stuttering. Upgrading to a SSD and to 16GB of RAM would likely fix your issues.

Solution
Aug 3, 2019
Reactions: masked.

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
to be honest that hard drive is perfectly acceptable so long as you're happy with load times. i dont see it having much of a profound effect on gaming unless the memory is paging onto it, the only difference an ssd will make in gaming is load times wont help with stuttering that much. i would suggest concentrating getting a dual channel ram kit and see where you can go from there. if problem still occurs then go for an ssd