Extreme FPS Lag & Sound Distortion. Can't pinpoint culprit. (BF1)

BWright111

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
For starters, this is going to be a kinda lengthy post - simply for the nature of being as descriptive as possible in all aspects. I've been at this for days to no avail and my time off work is limited. I see other rigs with far less power running this game with no problem.. so what's my hook-up? Poorly filmed videos of the problem are also provided.

For starters...
Specs:
CPU…..Intel i5-6600k
GPU…..EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 980Ti SC ACX 2.0 (6gb vRAM DDR5)
MoBo….Asus z170 Pro Gaming ATX
RAM…..16gb DDR4 (2x8gb sticks)
PSU…...EVGA 750w GOLD
SSD…...Samsung EVO 250gb
OS……..Windows 10 64bit Pro

Problem:
So, I recently got BF1. The auto-detect function placed all of my settings at Ultra. Go to play the first few rounds of multiplayer, Conquest (32v32) - everything is fine, gameplay is as smooth as butter, I’m locked at a steady and unrelenting 60fps with vSync, I’ve got a good ~40 ping and full bars - everything was awesome. Then, after about the 5th game I noticed my game got a bit glitchy and the orange “Low FPS” icon on the right-hand side of the screen would flash in and out. Suddenly, when the action picked up, I got huge fps jumps like: 38, 29, 50, 39, 21, 5, 60, 58. On top of the lag spikes, my sound went glitching like crazy. It sounded as if I had just popped in a new Skrillex single. It made the game completely unplayable, and it happened the whole time afterward and into the next match. My ping was still solid as it was prior, at ~40. I backed out and went into the menus and the lag followed me there. Every time I would switch between menu tabs or highlight another option, the sound would lag and go crazy. So, out of curiosity, I went and played the campaign and what do you know? The problem persisted. Crazy lag spikes and sound distortion. So that rules internet out, no? If I exit the game and restart it, the problem persists but not as severe. If I restart the computer, the game will play again for another 3-5 rounds before it goes haywire again. Every other person I've ran this by is confused, replying with something along the lines of "Your rig shouldn't be having any trouble running this". What gives? :(

Legwork done/Things already tried:
- Booted in safe mode, removed all driver software, rebooted in default, reinstalled freshest set of drivers provided by nVidia (375.95)
- Removed Origin Launcher and reinstalled it
- Removed BF1 and reinstalled it
- Disabled DX12
- Placed settings from Ultra to Low (made things worse, surprisingly)
- Disabled Origin functioning in background and in-game.
- Disabled Shadowplay
- Disabled vSync, capped frames with third party application (RivaTuner) - same result + screen tears.
- Lowered the default resolution upscaling to limit “supersampling” and it fixed nothing.

Notes:
- CPU idles at 24°C and when playing BF1 it loads at around ~34°C
- CPU usage fluctuates from ~70%-90%
- GPU idles at 37°C and when playing BF1 it loads at around ~51-71°C
- GPU usage fluctuates from ~51%-78%, rarely going above 80
- Happens in Multiplayer and Campaign (and the menus)
- Other games, Skyrim SE (with around ~100 mods), runs flawlessly. (yes, I know it isn't too demanding) & Halo 5 Forge works fine.
- Does the same thing regardless of one or multimonitor display setup. Does the same thing when using GPU audio or MoBo audio.

Picture of "Low FPS" Icon:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/syvzV.png

Example Vid of Multiplayer: (May need to raise volume to hear the glitching)
http://youtu.be/MZ9o6hh72Y0

Example Vid of Single Player:
http://youtu.be/JstmuB7ApzE

Example Vid of Game Menu: (Also happens in "out of game" menus)
http://youtu.be/yzE53Z2pXt4

Thanks in advance for any help.

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Hello!

That looks like a memory leak of some sort, things to check:

1. RAM usage when the FPS drops begin,
2. Temperatures of your CPU and GPU when you are gaming.

This is either a memory leak or a heat issue, or it could even be the graphics card drivers.

If you still have plenty of RAM available even when the FPS drops start to happen and also your temperatures are below 60 degrees for the CPU and below 70 on the GPU whilst gaming then it will be the drivers, try using older drivers, probably 368.81 and see what that does.

I hope this helps :)

BWright111

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

Thank you for your response.

I tried rolling back the drivers to the one mentioned above, per someone else's advice, but when you try to launch the game it forces you to update to 375 or higher.

Right now I just got done playing a couple of rounds of death-match (24v24), and the game held up almost perfectly for around 4 consecutive games. After that, it began to go haywire again. I capped these screenshots after I logged out, the moment after the last glitch occurred. This is what we get.

Now apparently, I don't know if this is faulty or not, but for the RAM category, it seems it only has me registered as having 8gb - when in fact I have 16gb. Other programs recognize that I have 16gb.

The temp stayed round ~70°C for the GPU the entire time, not just when the glitches and lag started happening.

Pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/CEv4Y
http://imgur.com/a/b4C1m

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Right this is definitely related to BF1 issues no doubt, it might be worth submitting a support ticket to EA because your BF1 does not seem to be picking up your full 16GB RAM which is odd. This wouldn't suggest RAM failure because otherwise other programs will be having an issue but other programs are fine.

BWright111

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
The monitoring software (MSI AfterBurner) for the graph is what is registering 8gb. Does it have any correlation or is that also a reflection of what BF1 sees? Sorry if I confused you.

My GeForce Experience app registers that I have "15.92gb of RAM available". Also, my msconfig settings claim I have 16gb ready.

I will however post this to their support and post a thread in their forums.

TRENDING THREADS