Extreme/gen3 software suite any good

mxrider131

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I have a home built desktop I just finished and is up and running. I didnt install any extra software (xfast, lucid, etc.) that came with the z68 mobo and was wondering if you guys recommend any of it or if I'm fine without it. I'm not overclocking and just using my comp for gaming and regular internet browsing so I figured it wouldnt be worth it to put any more unwanted programs that wont make that big of a difference. What do you think? thanks

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

I assume you mean Virtu, and if so, no it can't. The software simply switches between the IGPU and discrete GPU based on need, so you can access QuickSync with a discrete card. It has nothing to do with increasing framerates.

If you were referring to Virtu MVP, not only is it not available on Z68 boards, but it's also not intended to increase framerates. Virtu MVP is probably the most misrepresented bit of technology I've ever seen.

Like I said the gain can be disputed but http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu-mvp.html

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
There is no gain, there is not supposed to be. Virtu MVP is about response times, not framerates. The fact that framerates above 60 are inflated is purely incidental. The frames are not actually rendered, and in fact that's the whole point of the software.

If you're looking at Virtu MVP as something to boost your framerates, you're looking at it totally the wrong way. The fact that Lucid mentions boosted framerates on their product page is probably a large part of the confusion. They're just trying to make the product sound as appealing as possible, and are being pretty dishonest about what it does.

What the software really does is intercept the attempts to render frames. If the software detects that the rendered frame will be discarded, or will not finish rendering before the next time the buffer is sent to the monitor, it returns without doing anything. This frees up the computer to handle input, resulting in less input lag. It also makes the computer think it rendered the frame, resulting in an artificially inflated frame rate.

The "extra" frames never get rendered.