[SOLVED] Extreme lag spike once per day

Nov 20, 2019
Hello!

I use a TalkTalk WiFi Hub and I live in the UK (the router is made by sagemcom I think). My internet is normally fine, and I play overwatch on the ps4 alot. However, once per day I have an extreme lag spike, which takes my latency from a normal 50-70ms up to around 1000-3000ms - it seems like the packets are not going through at all. It tends to happen at night, (11:30pm, 11:45, 12 and 1 the last times it has happened) and my internet is otherwise pretty stable. It lasts around 5-15 minutes and the game is obviously unplayable. Does anyone know what could causes this issue and how I could fix it?

Additionally, in an attempt to combat it I have tried to portforward to my ps4 but no matter what I try and do the ports never appear open when I test them online. I have my ps4 on to receive the information, and I test it on my phone. My connection is wired via ethernet cable and I lowered the firewall to make sure it's not that.

Is there any help anyone can give me, I'll give more information if needed

Solution
Sounds like an ISP problem. Clearly some sort of daily update/ task/ process that's occurring especially since it's roughly the same time of day all the time