Question Extreme latency issues in Win10 OS on high end system.

lukejongibson

Prominent
Jun 14, 2018
I've got a fairly powerful system, but it's never run as well as it should and the current install is only a few months old.
OS - Win10 Pro
MB - MSI X99A SLI Plus
CPU - i7 5960X @ 4Ghz oc
RAM - 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400
GPU - MSI GTX980Ti
OS drive - Samsung 970Evo 512GB
Data drives - Seagate 6TB NAS + 2 x SSHD 2TB
PSU - Corsair 1000W
  • Power settings all set to high performance.
  • Unnecessary Background and start apps disabled.
  • Tried disabling Antivirus
  • System is clean
When running tests on various benchmarks everything looks fine and when running apps like games, or rending down video and audio files etc. while it's not as fast as I'd expect in some cases, it runs well enough.

The real issue is load times of basic stuff. Sometimes opening a folder, even on the 970Evo takes ages to load, or the system just keeps intermittently slowing to a crawl even though nothing in the performance panel or resource monitor seems to indicate that any significant amount of system resources are being used, practically none in a lot of cases.

I've noticed with less than 5% CPU, 15% RAM, 0% on any disks, and 1% on GPU the system seeming like it's crawling along, even typing freezes and I can type half a sentence before the system catches up again.

I've been trying to get to the bottom of it for months and I just can't seem to make sense of it. What am I missing?

TRENDING THREADS