monte79

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Ok got a real situation on the budget. Max is like $300. Don't even know if its possible but need to stay close. The computer will only be used for one thing and that is to run Adobe CS4. With very little video editing. Here is what i got so far but I don't know what video card to choose.

Case, Monitor, External Storage, Optical Drives all ready have.

Motherboard & CPU
CPU MOTHERBOARD

RAM
RAM

HD (can and will be expanded later)
HD

Can't decide on video card here is what i found. AMD and ATI go together better but open to other sugestions.

VIDEO CARDS

I know what all of you are thinking just save more money, can't its not an option, long story but short answer is, its for a business that is like non-profit political type.

thank you in advance....

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
I'd get this ram, better timings:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231219&Tpk=g%20skill%20hk

On your budget, I wouldn't even get a discrete GPU. Put the money into a better CPU and then add a GPU later, I would go for this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.165025

Those GPU's you are looking at aren't worth the money IMO, its just a waste. You will see a much larger performance boost out of getting that CPU and mobo combo instead.

Do you have a PSU? Look at something like this if you don't
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008
Additional 10% off w/ promo code March10

monte79

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

I do have a PSU. I did look at that combo, sounds like a very nice board, i will read some more info on it.

Your honest opinion on the Onboard graphics, you think it will be enough to use the Adobe CS4 software at a resonalbe pace? I know it wont be killer, just good enough for now.

I changed the ram to the one you picked, only a dollar more...lol good picks thank you so much...

monte79

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
kidx what do you think of the combo that gkay09 has listed? im not sure i can swing the combo you listed is why im asking.

also, checked and my psu dont think will work, its from a socket 7 build i believe....this situation keeps getting deeper doesn't it.

what about if i dropped half the ram, to get the combo you suggested?

i have switched to the hd that lasoski listed.

monte79

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

i like the hard drive, i will use that one, only reason i was leaning towards the other one was the warranty.

the ram you have on here wasn't listed in the compatiblity list with the board i was looking at, but will keep as an option.

thank you to everyone again....keep them coming....
no reviews on that board, do you know much about it?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
You get a lot more for your money with the combo I suggested, but if you can't afford it then that's that. Gkay's combo isn't bad, but the AMD dual cores are old processors and aren't really that great, you will need to upgrade soon if you go that route.

On the GPU, the HD 3300 or 3200 onboard will be almost as good as the GPU's you were looking at. CS4 won't see any benefit from those low end GPU's, its better to just put the money into the processor. If by dropping half the ram you would be able to get the combo I suggested then do that, ram is cheap and easy to upgrade later when you can afford it.

The 640GB Seagate is a bad idea IMO. Seagates have terrible firmware and its best to stay away from them for now until they get their issues worked out. I would get the WD drive.

Bad idea. The HD in your original post is much better than the Seagate drive. Seagate is currently having major firmware/reliability issues. It's best to stay far away from them for a while until they get it sorted out. The RAM that xthekidx suggested is also much better than the OCZ suggested above. The G.Skill has tighter timings and needs less voltage. Both of which are an indication of quality RAM.

Edit: xthekidx beat me to it on the Seagate drive. :)

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

What PSU do you have?

yoyojam55

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I would not use that PSU. APEVIA is a horrible PSU brand. I would go with the Corsair 400CX that xthekidx linked to. It's the one I have in my rig, it's a great PSU

For a Photoshop rig your going to want a lot of RAM. 4GB at the minimum to start, and get a board that can take at least 8GB in the future.

As far as processors go, AMD offers tremendous value at this price range. If you can afford it, get a Phenom II 720. Slightly below that is the 710, which won't overclock that well, but is a decent option. For Intel, the e5200 is very overclockable at a very good price. But it probably won't do quite as well in photoshop, as it only has 2 cores.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

:/ without a gpu in the system, you will probably be alright...but if you add a gpu later then you should definitely get a different PSU. Is it an old PSU from a different system that is being reused, or a new one? If its old, then you should probably get a new one now, if its newish then you can use it until you buy a discrete GPU.

edit: actually the PSU doesn't have a PCIE connector so if you get a discrete GPU you will have to replace the PSU anyway. I guess that is apevia's way of ensuring people don't overload their POS PSU.

monte79

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

first big thank you very much for everyones info.

yeah its from my very old (2002ish) amd xp 1700 soyo dragon kt400 build. (bet its been awhile since you heard that) this whole build is just a startup build, as i go along i will add/replace things when funds become available. just looking for a minimal base configruation.

i have more questions now than before. im gonna try to get the phenom II x3. i found a 710 which has the same board as you posted before.(which by the way wasnt that $185 yesterday?).

i know the 710 doesnt overclock well but that doesnt matter to me. my biggest question is memory support. on newegg it says ddr2 but on biostar website it says ddr3? can i put ddr2 in that board?

so this is where im at now...(which is pretty much back to the start)

went with a little smaller Western Digital drive just because of the price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

**EDIT***corsair memory as per thekidx
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

and now this combo for cpu and motherboard...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.165023

unbelievably the total with shipping is $304.97 lol

remember basically i just want a decent upgradeable base configuration, just enough to function is fine for now.

thanks to everyone again. keep the info flowing, im taking it all in....

monte79

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

now what about openbox biostar boards? any experience with them? worth the savings? if i did that could afford the 720 and a psu on the budget i think..........let me know.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
I have no experience with them, but generally speaking, its a roll of the dice. Sometimes you get an awesome deal, sometimes you end up wasting time and shipping costs because you have to send it back. Chances are you will need to buy sata cables and other stuff too, and it may not come with a manual (VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE). Open box items were returned for some reason...if your lucky it was just because the buyer changed their mind and went with a different mobo just because they could afford it, if your unlucky, they had problems with the mobo and had to send it back, but then newegg didn't find anything wrong with it so they put it back on the shelf.

monte79

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
yeah, scratch the openbox idea, price didnt work. dont really know what to do about the powersupply. if i stick with the 710 im under 300 but not enough funds left for psu that is worth the money. im getting frustrated with this build. maybe i will check zipzoomfly. or just buy a dell...yuck

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Don't buy a dell or any other prebuilt. You will get crap parts and pay more for it. Any way to save up $50 more for the PSU? If you can then you should, even if it takes a few weeks.

G

listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about.

edit: I guess I should say why. You're almost throwing away your 300 bucks if you use a cheap psu. If it fry's everything then you're screwed.

monte79

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

lol yeah i hope you know i was joking about the dell........refuse to buy prebuilt desktop, dont worry about that.

as far as the psu i will just have to come up with the funds somehow. about some more psu options, keep it around the $50 range. i would like to use one of the new modular ones like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103939 which is a little over my budget but possible.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

monte79

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

yeah would like that 1st ocz but maybe you are right about sticking with zipties for now.