LaproCZ

Commendable
Sep 15, 2019
Hello!

Once i had a perfectly working setup:

Microphone : Behringer XM8500
Cable: Stagg SMC3
Sound Card: Behringer U-Phoria UMC22

My brother has almost the same setup, except the microphone: He's using Yenkee YMC 1030, Which is much louder.

He noticed some cracking and noise coming out of his setup so he came to me and tried his microphone on mine. He changed the microphone, tested it out, came back into his room and it was fixed... kinda. He still has cracking noises but has a workaround to fix it: unplugging the microphone until the noise is not there( completely 0 noise)

However, my setup started doing the same thing and there is now Extreme Noise.

Here are some things i noticed:

If i plug only my sound card into my computer - The noise is still there, even without microphone plugged in.
Turning on and off +48V is randomly either earraping or the noise is quieter
Sometimes powering off and on my sound card makes it better, but there is still very noticeable noise.
I have tried using his soundcard (not sure if his is broken too) and the noise is still there
If i have his microphone - the noise is still there
if i take my microphone and plug it into his setup - (the microphone is quiet and you need to turn up the volume a bit to her it) so he turns up the volume and the noise is there.
We have tried changing the cables, but it doesn't fix it.
Tried reinstalling drivers multiple times, but it is not windows issue (i think)
Also i heard that plugging in and out the microphone out of sound card while +48 power is on can break the sound card/microphone/cable

Here is a video i made about the noise issue. I uploaded it to Youtube (hope it won't break any rules here) sorry for my English.
Video link :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i25oXFTDjxo

WARNING!! THIS MIGHT EARRAPE YOU.

I need help with either fixing or pointing outthe false equipment, so i can replace it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried working with a donor system to rule out an anomaly with his system? Could you please list the specs to the build the audio equipment is tethered to? Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

LaproCZ

Commendable
Sep 15, 2019
I could not hear much via the video. Too muted but there was just a bit of crackling, maybe static, towards the end.

However at some time in the past all worked and now does not?

48 volts - Phantom power. Correct?

FYI:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/what-phantom-power-need/#

It could be that the sound cards have been damaged.

Everything worked fine ( 0 noise or static ) the microphone was loud and clear. Until my brother came and unplugged my cable going from sound card to microphone and plugged his cable and microphone. Then the noise started.

48V - Phantom power / yes

LaproCZ

Commendable
Sep 15, 2019
Have you tried working with a donor system to rule out an anomaly with his system? Could you please list the specs to the build the audio equipment is tethered to? Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
I texted my friends but none have a external sound card or XLR microphone. So I can't really rule out the bad thing.
Anyway here are my specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: ASROCK MB AB350M PRO4-F
Ram: 4x4(16GB) DDR4 Ram
SSD: ADATA SSD 512GB GAMMIX S5 M.2 PCIe
Patriot SSD 120GB
HDD: 1TB ( not sure the brand)
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: Gigabyte 450W
Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG6V EVO TG ARGB, TG,

Ralston18

Titan
Reference:

"Until my brother came and unplugged my cable going from sound card to microphone and plugged his cable and microphone. Then the noise started. "

How comparable are the cables? Is his cable different? Could it have been damaged in some manner?

All I can think of, for the moment, is that the cable he used could have been pinned out differently.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Not sure that TRS is involved. However if there was some pin out/connection difference then indeed there could be some damages.

All you can really do is to test each system, component, cable involved as separately and as individually as possible.

Try to narrow down the problem to one specific item or configuration.

Physically check all cables, plugs and ports for signs of damage.

If, for example, you can wiggle a cable and cause the noise to stop (or stop) then the cable could be the cause.