Question Extreme Performance Loss (laptop)

Mar 22, 2019
Hello

My laptop is a E14 E5 475g with these specs
i5 7200u
940mx 2GB gddr2
4GB (2133mhz) of ram in single channel
Windows 10 pro

My laptop is close to a year old and when I first got it, I could run Fortnite at medium 60+ fps (1366x768), but now I can barely get a stable 40+ fps (640 x 360) at all low settings. There is also extreme stuttering and freezes like the fps spikes and stutters even in a very close area. It's to the point where browsing the internet and my laptop becomes an actual pain. For some reason there started to be a cpu bottleneck, but when I checked for performance loss it was only 5% under the average i5 7200u.

I've tried many things like overclocking the cpu, underclocking the cpu, overclocking the gpu, underclocking the gpu, having stretched resolution, using memory reduct, getting a 1500rpm laptop cooler, taking out the battery to maximize performance(laptop isn't taking anywhere), limiting virtual ram usage, turning off all windows animations, unparking my cpu and making it run at max clock speeds, putting a literal block of ice on the hottest part of the laptop(with protection from condensation), loading games from external SSD, cleaning my disk/storage/temp_files daily, disabling the integrated graphics, deleting chrome, adding additional command line arguments into Fortnite, going into Fortnite game files to make resolution under what is allowed, extreme negative (LOD) bias, checking for viruses, making Fortnite a high priority in task manager, updating drivers for gpu, making sure I exit Epic Games after Fortnite launches to save memory, making startup disk never turn off, using an external monitor, lowering native resolution to 1280xx720, lowing native resolution to 960x540, checked that DirectX 12 was working, benchmarking with above average stable scores, swapping HDD, and using a LAN cable incase it was internet, but after trying all of these it still didn't work.

I searched many forums but I couldn't find anything

Thanks in advance

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Are you monitoring temps of the CPU/GPU? The 4GB won't help, but if it was ok initially, no reason it wouldn't be now.

Having ice on the hottest part of the laptop isn't going to help dissipate heat, so if you're overheating, that's a wasted effort.

Mar 22, 2019
I don't it's ok, because I get a lot less than I should when I tested my cpu in cinebench r20. When I should be getting around 700 to 736cb I'm getting 605 and even 543 sometimes. I've also checked benchmark video of the same game and hardware but I seem to not have the same amount of performance as I stutter in every setting. I've lost around 35% of the intended performance, so I don't think that it's "ok" currently.

Mar 22, 2019
Specs:
940mx 2GB GDDR5
i5 7200u
(laptop)
I play fortnite, but then suddenly I lost a lot of frames and started to stutter. I finally found out that the problem was low gpu usage, which I can prove because usage would always be under 65% and temp would be under 65 degrees celsius. I also know that it's not bottlenecking, because when I watched a benchmark of fortnite with the same hardware, they got twice as much frames on medium settings and my laptop ran without a bottleneck when I first got it. I am 100% sure none of the components are damaged as my gpu, when rending in OpenGL, gets an average of 99.6% usage but in directX11 it's 50% average.

Thank you in advance

Mar 22, 2019
Cpu temps are at 72-85 degrees Celsius and the usage is around 93-100%
But the CPU is ok, I just disabled HPET, which was slowing it down. Now I get 801cb in cinebench r20 and I think I found the route to my problem. The gpu is at 50% when I play at low settings and at high settings it's at 71%, which makes me stutter at every settings now matter what.