Extreme ping-spikes after usage of computer

jojtotanoj

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
First off let me say this: I'm a CSGO player, a game that relies on one having a steady network connection, so when my ping spikes up from 5 ms to 400 ms every 5-10th second it's unplayable. Sometimes it's worse, sometimes better. I have not yet figured out what the cause is, and that's why I'm here. The thing is, when I restart my PC it starts working steadily again (how I know this is by measuring ping on www.meter.net/ping-test , and comparing it to before I restart the PC).

The problem seems to get progressively worse as the computer remains active, but as mentioned before sometimes I can use it without any issues for several hours.

Result after using for about 3 hours:
avg. 3 ms
max. 400 ms

result after restarting:

avg. 3.6 ms
max. 14 ms

1 hour after restarting:
avg. 10 ms
max. 80+ ms

The average ping is amazing, but there are noticable lag spikes every x seconds.

One last thing is that I have a vague memory of changing something inside the advanced network settings, in order to host a server for a game, and that the problem began after doing this. (Since I'm not sure of this ALL SOLUTIONS ARE VIABLE)

TLDR; Some days my ping is average 5 throughout the entire day, other days like today it's average 5 with lag spikes every x seconds. Problem may or may not be caused by me changing something within the PC network settings, considering the ping becomes stable again restarting.

Thanks,
Jonte.

P.S PC is running windows 10, connected with an ethernet cable to an extender that is connected to the 2,4ghz access point.

jojtotanoj

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

While I haven't thought about resetting the network, I doubt it'd make any difference considering I'm connected to an extender, already remove the port forward to the game but no difference.