Extreme Ping Spikes for No Reason on New Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

whogivesadamn

Prominent
Jan 10, 2019
I recently received a new Lenovo Legion Y530 for Christmas. The specs are GTX 1050ti 4 gb, Intel Core i7-8750H, 8 gigs of RAM, 1 Terabyte of HDD storage, and hopefully that's enough.

Like I mentioned, the laptop is new, I received it just a few weeks ago on Christmas. However, whenever I try to play any online games, the ping will go from around 20-40 for at most a minute, to 300-400 for a few seconds before going back down to the 20-40 ping, just to repeat the cycle until I leave the game. The problem has to be the laptop, because I have been to three different places with pretty good wireless connections, all three ranging around the 20-40 ping range. The people that I was playing with at one of the locations that were also connected to the same WiFi weren't experiencing the lag spikes. I have tried to turn off antivirus, as the Geek Squad recommended when I took my laptop to Best Buy, but that didn't work. Is there anything that I can change on my laptop to fix these issues? Would buying one of those USB wireless adapter things possibly work?

I do not have access to an Ethernet cable.

Rayaldi

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

have you checked windows update? its a common occurrence (at least to me, and those around me) for a newly bought laptop to have spike of ping coz of windows update, event last night my PC experienced spike of ping because windows update is downloading something.

whogivesadamn

Prominent
Jan 10, 2019

I have checked for updates, and did update them because there were updates, but the issues continued.
And Lenovo Support told me to take my laptop in to Best Buy, so that's great. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.