Extreme system slowness caused by HDD?

Vinjak

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
I purchased some barely used parts for a new PC build, and now I'm having problems.

Motherboard, CPU, RAM - used for 2 months, all are still under warranty
HDD - 400 days power on time

Upon attempting to install windows, it took me 5 tries to succed. It would show errors about files missing or being corrupt, which was quite strange considering I was installing from a USB. It's not a DVD than can get scratched. On 2 other PCs, I had no problems installing from it.

After finally installing, everything was so slow. Booting, opening programs, clicking on stuff. Even the start menu was lagging. Everything would also stop responding, including explorer. I thought maybe it was because I didn't install the motherboard drivers.
I inserted the DVD that came with the motherboard, and when it would try to autorun, I would get some "Abnormal program termination" error after waiting for a while.
After somehow installing everything except GPU drivers which just weren't willing to install, everything was still the same.
HDSentinel (Pictures that the seller sent me) was saying 100-100.
When I checked first, it was 100-91. After restart 100-81. And now finally 100-52 and 220+ weak sectors. Weak sectors keep increasing. That decrease in health happened in maybe 2 hours.
I should also mention that it is basically unusable now. Nothing will open. Booting takes forever. Safe mode doesn't help. (I've read some posts about it working in safe mode).
I resorted to attempting to install windows again, but it is taking forever. Got to 15% after half an hour.

The seller is assuming it got damaged during shipping and is willing to send me a new one if I don't get it working. But I just want to be sure before sending it back.

I assumed it's the HDD in the first place because it was very loud.

Memtest doesn't show errors. CPU benchmarks and stress tests were ok (while I was able to actually run anything).

So my final question is: are these the sings of HDD damage?

Specs:
ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 Motherboard
1 x 8 GB HyperX Fury 1600Mhz
Coolermaster 650W PSU
Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC
FX 8320e with jet engine stock cooler
WD Black 1TB 7200RPM <<<<<<Suspected issue

Solution
Yes, the bad HDD will cause that problem.
If you have other HDD to try, you will know. Otherwise ask for other HDD, because the health% did drop lot.