[SOLVED] Extreme temperature spikes

Nov 29, 2020
Hi All,

I'm sorry if this has been answered but I haven't been able to find anything that helps me on this one. Earlier in the year I did a build with the following;

CPU - i5 10600
Mobo - Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Elite
RAM - 4 X 8GB Corsair C3000C15
GC - Aorus 2080Ti Xtreme
Cooling - EK Vector Waterblocks on GC & CPU, 2 x 360mm Rads & PC-O11D G1 + DDC 3.2 PWM
PSU - Seasonic Prime Gold 750W

After a lot of hassle with frame rates in games (Hunt was barely cracking 60FPS yet on my old 4790K rig, same GC, I was capping at refresh rate (144Hz). I swapped out to my old 800W Fractal Newton PSU, concerned that may be part of the problem I twice dismantled and reassembled the cooling loop, reseated the waterblocks, changed thermal paste and things were running much better. Getting 80-90FPS average on Hunt at 3440x1440.
Over the weekend Black Friday deals etc, I decided to go for an i9 10850K CPU. After the install I was getting frequent and to me, odd temperature spikes and game crashes. So I again pulled the waterblock off and reapplied the thermal paste expecting that to be the issue but this hasn't fixed anything. The little information I've been able to get was the (correct me if I'm wrong) useless article on gamersnexus telling everyone not to use the default Z490 BIOS settings, that's great but it doesn't tell you what to set anything to. After installing the intel extreme tuning utility I thought I had the answer with some of those values appearing all over the place according to the gamers nexus post but I'm still having troubles, I'm talking 80 to 90C with 10% load.

Solution
temps that high, it would seem like the CPU pump is not....pumping. (assuming no overlooked sticker on it)

If one hose gets hot, and the other remains cool, it is not pumping.

As this a 10600 and not a 10600K, let's set the BIOS to factory defaults, ensure pump is connected to a power source, and see what temps/clock speeds are hit as read by HWMonitor under a semi-heavy load (such as that induced by CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU)
temps that high, it would seem like the CPU pump is not....pumping. (assuming no overlooked sticker on it)

If one hose gets hot, and the other remains cool, it is not pumping.

As this a 10600 and not a 10600K, let's set the BIOS to factory defaults, ensure pump is connected to a power source, and see what temps/clock speeds are hit as read by HWMonitor under a semi-heavy load (such as that induced by CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU)

Solution
Nov 29, 2020
Hi mdd,

Thanks for the reply but its not a 10600 anymore its a 10850K, I've tried resetting all BIOS defaults, enabling and disabling MCE and XMP (which seems to be hella unstable with Gigabyte), adjusting voltages, PL1 & 2 limits, core current, which after booting Intel Extreme Tuner had everything set to unlimited which is not their factory specifications. Pump is definitely working and circulating.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
there is always the possibility of a faulty sensor. in my old CPU the sensor was not working well and it randomly reported temperatures of 2500C. the system would throttle to 0 to bring the temps down and that caused all games to be a stuttery mess.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
the mobo always has a sensor but not all CPUs have it. and yes, if the sensor has a false reading of a very high temperature, it may create current fluctuations that can cause crashes.