Question Extreme temperatures i7 8700k overclocking

scherioyt

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
Hello guys, I recently tried to overclock my 8700k to 4.8Ghz again, after an year, by setting the multiplier and changing the voltage to 1.29 with an llc of 2 in my Asrock z370 extreme4. The strange thing is that my temps instantly ramped up to 90+°C on Prime95 (no avx) and other programs like cinebench r15. At this point I tried 4.7 and 1.26 but the temps were still pretty insane. I have a Kraken x73 in a TD500 mesh case (with an halo duo ring exhaust fan set to performance mode) and I think that the stock temps are pretty high too. The only other thing that i toggled on in the bios is the xmp, which is not the cause of the high temps because, even if I turn it off, they are the same. I already changed the thermal paste (mx-4) and I'm pretty sure that the cooler is working fine (the pump is in performance mode and the fans are working well, liquid temp reached a max of 34°C, I don't know if I have to check other things before saying that it works fine). The ambient temperature is like 24°C. I'm really considering to delid it. Any suggestion would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
what are you using to monitor temps?
with an llc of 2
that is not a recommended LLC level for overclocking.
you should start with 4 and work your way up to 6-7 if that is not stable.
TD500 mesh case (with an halo duo ring exhaust fan
hoping this also includes the front intakes.
only other thing that i toggled on in the bios is the xmp
there's quite a few other settings that should be altered when overclocking these.

you should look for an in depth guide to overclocking the 8th gen.
the last time i was overclocking an 8th gen on Z370 was 2+ years ago.
my 8700K was stable and kind of cool @ 5GHz with 1.225v.
idling ~35°, gaming ~65°. though i believe this was a nicer chip than some.

look for things like Thermal Voltage Boost, Multi-Core Enhancement, and anything else offering any type of auto-boost options and disable them.
as long as Turbo Boost and your c-states are still enabled, using your own clock multiplier & voltages should be all you need.

scherioyt

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
what are you using to monitor temps?

that is not a recommended LLC level for overclocking.
you should start with 4 and work your way up to 6-7 if that is not stable.

hoping this also includes the front intakes.

there's quite a few other settings that should be altered when overclocking these.

you should look for an in depth guide to overclocking the 8th gen.
the last time i was overclocking an 8th gen on Z370 was 2+ years ago.
my 8700K was stable and kind of cool @ 5GHz with 1.225v.
idling ~35°, gaming ~65°. though i believe this was a nicer chip than some.

look for things like Thermal Voltage Boost, Multi-Core Enhancement, and anything else offering any type of auto-boost options and disable them.
as long as Turbo Boost and your c-states are still enabled, using your own clock multiplier & voltages should be all you need.
Thanks for replying, yes, the case has 3 front intake fans. I watched a guide and I disabled all the c states, mce, intel speedstep, speed shift and ring to core, but temps are still high. in my motherboard llc1 is the most aggressive one, that keeps the voltage to almost the one I put in bios, while llc5 is the one in which voltage drops more during loads. To monitor temps I used HWmonitor and HWinfo, they're all displaying the same temps, while in NZXT cam the cpu temp is much lower, I don't know why