[SOLVED] Extreme temps on 2600 @ 3.8 ghz Running Cinebench r20

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
I have been trying to work on an overclock on a Ryzen 5 2600 I recently bought, but am having seriously high thermals. High enough to stop the tests to prevent from hitting tj, max.
I have it set to 3.8ghz at 1.3175 v, and almost hit 90c in a single run of Cinebench r20. I am using the wraith stealth that came with it, although I will be picking up something more substantial in the near future. From all I've seen online, the thermals are way higher than they should be. I have been using HWINFO64 to monitor. Idle temps are also, around 40c.
Even at stock, the temps are hitting close to 80c. I have re applied my paste (Deepcool z9), made sure cooler is installed properly, made the cpu fan curve more aggressive. The case is a wide open Corsair C70, with 3 intake running slow at the bottom and front and an exhaust at the rear running high. So I don't think airflow is an issue. The rest of the build is as follows;
msi b450 gaming plus matx, 2x8 corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz cas 15, evga gtx 1660 xc, adata sp900 256g, deepcool da500.
I know the stealth isn't a great cooler, but I feel there is something else at play, anyone have any insight?

Last edited:
Solution
If you want to overclock it that high, you need a better cooler than the stock one. 90 isn’t really that bad in a stress test as you will never get close to that using your computer on a daily basis anyway. Either way, if you want to overclock I would suggest a premium air cooler or a water cooler.
If you want to overclock it that high, you need a better cooler than the stock one. 90 isn’t really that bad in a stress test as you will never get close to that using your computer on a daily basis anyway. Either way, if you want to overclock I would suggest a premium air cooler or a water cooler.

Reactions: Sweet_3
Solution

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Is there a reason you're vcore is at 1.3v? You should be able to get stable 3.8ghz all core at around 1.2v (or less) pretty easily. That is unless you got a turd. Turn down the voltages and see if that doesn't help. At 1.15v I was completely stable with a 3.8ghz all core overclock and seeing 85c max with the stock cooler during prime95. Of course your mileage may very, just use those numbers as more of a guideline.

EDIT: What kind of case fans are you using? You may just need fans with better airflow if you're using the case fans that came with it.

Last edited:

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
I never really intended on keeping the stealth, I just thought the temp was still higher than it should be. I have an evo coming tomorrow, I’ll see how much of a difference that makes.

Last edited:

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Is there a reason you're vcore is at 1.3v? You should be able to get stable 3.8ghz all core at around 1.2v (or less) pretty easily. That is unless you got a turd. Turn down the voltages and see if that doesn't help. At 1.15v I was completely stable with a 3.8ghz all core overclock and seeing 85c max with the stock cooler during prime95. Of course your mileage may very, just use those numbers as more of a guideline.

EDIT: What kind of case fans are you using? You may just need fans with better airflow if you're using the case fans that came with it.

You know what? I haven’t tried lower voltage, I checked what it was pulling at stock which was 1.3v and started there, I didn’t have much headroom because of the heat. I will see how much lower I can go with the voltage.
The fans are corsair AF120 led white, a bit old, but not bad fans, they are hooked up to a multi channel controller.

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
An hour and a half of prime95 gave me no crashes and no fails. Realistically I'll never stress my CPU as hard as prime95 for that long. Maybe it is unstable after an 8 hour stress test, but I'm just playing games and streaming video.

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
An hour and a half of prime95 gave me no crashes and no fails. Realistically I'll never stress my CPU as hard as prime95 for that long. Maybe it is unstable after an 8 hour stress test, but I'm just playing games and streaming video.
I dialed back the voltage to 1.25v, that dropped it down about 10c. I tried to push it to 3.9ghz at that voltage, but it crashed. I’ll start bringing the voltage back up when I have a bit more cooling power.

While your computer may be stable for gaming and streaming, typically because you aren’t pushing your CPU to 100% at sustained intervals, you will introduce micro errors into your Operating System. You won’t notice these micro errors until they have damaged your OS beyond repair. I had this happen to me personally where I had games that would no longer connect to the server. Tried uninstall and reinstall, no fix. The only way to fix it was a clean install of windows and all of my programs and games. It wasn’t a huge deal for me as I only keep games and needed programs on my desktop. These micro errors can damage any files you keep on your computer. Darkbreez is a well know contributor to this forum and will verify this information. Prime 95 is a temperature stress test not a stability stress test. While it can show instability, realbench by Asus should be your stability stress test and 8 hours is the minimum to verify true stability. Just trying to make sure everyone in this thread understands there is risk in undervolting an overclock. There’s probably a million people who are saying the same thing. They read online how everyone needs such and such voltage but they have much lower. No, you didn’t win a silicone lottery, you are just not noticing the instability because it “works fine in gaming and streaming”. If that works for you then great. OP should understand as well and decide if he wants to push the appropriate voltage or not.
As to the CPU cooler, it depends on what your goal is. What is your case, budget and goal for your overclock? Do you want the temperature manageable or cool as possible?

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
While your computer may be stable for gaming and streaming, typically because you aren’t pushing your CPU to 100% at sustained intervals, you will introduce micro errors into your Operating System. You won’t notice these micro errors until they have damaged your OS beyond repair. I had this happen to me personally where I had games that would no longer connect to the server. Tried uninstall and reinstall, no fix. The only way to fix it was a clean install of windows and all of my programs and games. It wasn’t a huge deal for me as I only keep games and needed programs on my desktop. These micro errors can damage any files you keep on your computer. Darkbreez is a well know contributor to this forum and will verify this information. Prime 95 is a temperature stress test not a stability stress test. While it can show instability, realbench by Asus should be your stability stress test and 8 hours is the minimum to verify true stability. Just trying to make sure everyone in this thread understands there is risk in undervolting an overclock. There’s probably a million people who are saying the same thing. They read online how everyone needs such and such voltage but they have much lower. No, you didn’t win a silicone lottery, you are just not noticing the instability because it “works fine in gaming and streaming”. If that works for you then great. OP should understand as well and decide if he wants to push the appropriate voltage or not.
As to the CPU cooler, it depends on what your goal is. What is your case, budget and goal for your overclock? Do you want the temperature manageable or cool as possible?
I’m hoping to achieve a fairly modest overclock, with manageable temps. Budget minimal to achieve that. So maybe 3.9-4ghz, and keep it under 90c in a stress or stability test. I figured that if I wanted to push beyond that, I’d have to spend more money on the system as a whole, I know the psu is not very good quality. I just thought the temps were uncharacteristically high.

Well the temps are directly based on voltage and what cooler you are using. If you are on a budget for the cooler then you need to budget your overclock to what you can stand currently. 90c won’t hurt your cpu on the short term. What is most important are the temperatures that you achieve on a daily basis doing what you normally do which is probably closer to 70

Do you have a suggestion for something that would be more of an improvement?

Since noone answer this one I will try to, as long as you stay around 3.8~3.9GHz oc (and you lower the voltage), you could get away with something like be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 (https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1376), or Noctuas NH-U12S (https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-u12s-chromax-black/specification). Note: Noctua's cooler comes with an extra pair of fan brackets, so you could add a second fan to it (not sure about be Quiet! one).

There are buying guides and motherboard compatibility checks on be Quiet! and Noctuas websites, be sure to check out if the cooler youre buying is going to work with your rig.

Last edited:

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Since noone asnwer this one I will try to, as long as you stay around 3.8~3.9GHz oc (and you lower the voltage), you could get away with something like be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 (https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1376), or Noctuas NH-U12S (https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-u12s-chromax-black/specification). Note: Noctua's cooler comes with an extra pair of fan brackets, so you could add a second fan to it (not sure about be Quiet! one).

There are buying guides and motherboard compatibility checks on be Quiet! and Noctuas websites, be sure to check out if the cooler youre buying is going to work with your rig.
Ok, thank you for the suggestions. These are a little higher in price than what I budgeted for, but If that’s what I need to spend to get the temps down a bit, then I will probably go with the noctua option, as it’s more reasonably priced from what I can find.

prophet51

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
I have been trying to work on an overclock on a Ryzen 5 2600 I recently bought, but am having seriously high thermals. High enough to stop the tests to prevent from hitting tj, max.
I have it set to 3.8ghz at 1.3175 v, and almost hit 90c in a single run of Cinebench r20. I am using the wraith stealth that came with it, although I will be picking up something more substantial in the near future. From all I've seen online, the thermals are way higher than they should be. I have been using HWINFO64 to monitor. Idle temps are also, around 40c.
Even at stock, the temps are hitting close to 80c. I have re applied my paste (Deepcool z9), made sure cooler is installed properly, made the cpu fan curve more aggressive. The case is a wide open Corsair C70, with 3 intake running slow at the bottom and front and an exhaust at the rear running high. So I don't think airflow is an issue. The rest of the build is as follows;
msi b450 gaming plus matx, 2x8 corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz cas 15, evga gtx 1660 xc, adata sp900 256g, deepcool da500.
I know the stealth isn't a great cooler, but I feel there is something else at play, anyone have any insight?

Best I could get with the stock cooler was 3.9ghz@1.1375+0.19125v. Any higher and it goes into the 90's and fails stress test. Recently got a snowman cooler and can now get 4.05ghz@1.1375+0.23125v offset, runs at about 1.33v during stress testing.

prophet51

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
In aida64 stress testing with everything but disk stress enabled the snowman tops out @75c after 15min, with my stock wraith cooler and slightly lower voltage/freq I was peaking at 90c in aida64 stress testing.
And yes that's the cooler I got it's slightly cheaper than the hyper212 and more than enough for a 2600. If you have an extra 120mm fan you can place it on the other side of the heatsink for increased cooling performance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5J2jTJ1Dik
- there's a review comparing it top other heatsinks.

Reactions: RodroX
In aida64 stress testing with everything but disk stress enabled the snowman tops out @75c after 15min, with my stock wraith cooler and slightly lower voltage/freq I was peaking at 90c in aida64 stress testing.
And yes that's the cooler I got it's slightly cheaper than the hyper212 and more than enough for a 2600. If you have an extra 120mm fan you can place it on the other side of the heatsink for increased cooling performance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5J2jTJ1Dik
- there's a review comparing it top other heatsinks.

Thanks for the reply!!!

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
So I gave the hyper 212 evo a try since it was already on the way, and it lowered my temps in the cinebench R20 test by an average of 24c. I was able to get it to 4.0ghz at 1.3125v, and top out at about 61c after a 30 min run of the Asus Realbench stress test. I’m planning on going for 8hrs this weekend.
Perhaps there was something defective with the stealth cooler, I’m not sure what, as it’s a pretty simple machine.

Reactions: RodroX
I don't think the stock cooler have something wrong, its just not enough for OC the 2600 and going with high loads.

Stock cooler is "designed" for a cheap solution to use under the specs condition of the CPU (or atleast it should be, yes Intel Im specially looking at you!). Now, once you set foot in the high OC arena, the stock cooler need to be replaced asap for a better/real one.

Im glad you guys worked out !!!

Cheers

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Maybe I was thinking of the stock cooler for the 2600x. The 212 evo is a pretty solid cooler. Glad it worked for you!
Pretty happy with it, I was able to run it at 4ghz @ 1.3125v for 8hrs on realbench, it peaked at 71c. I had some trouble with the test at first, but realised pretty quickly that it was my gpu oc that was causing the instability, so I shut off afterburner, wiped the drivers with ddu, reinstalled and it held stable fine after that.