Extreme Windows 7 Chugging after Automatic Updates

thedesertwolf

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
I am currently working on a family PC to get it back to working order. There is a single stipulation on it that I am to not put a fresh install of windows on it, otherwise this would have most likely been resolved long ago. I would greatly like to at this point in time but again, it is not currently an option.

The specifications of the computer as are follows -
lenovo H405 (7723-1AU) Desktop PC
Athlon II X2 255(3.1GHz)
3GB DDR3
500GB HD
ATI Radeon 3000 graphics
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

To date to correct the issue I have done the following.
A full interior cleaning, anti-static band included.

Attempted a system restore to immediately before the updates. There appears to have been a preexisting problem that had been, temporarily now, taken care of.
Full virus scan from AVG and AVAST ((These were done separately and once one was removed and any files found deleted, the other was installed in the short timeframe when it was working))
Scans through both Spybot Search and Destroy as well as Mallwarebytes
Running Piriforms Defraggler
Run CHKDSK /f to check for errors on the drive. ((There were errors. They were resolved, the slowness problem persisted.))
Ran CCleaner
Ran msconfig, turning off all unnecessary start up programs.
Right now attempting to get into the error log without it seizing up.

After further poking about with it, even safe mode has started to chug something fierce.

I am going to do a check of the ram/processor/video card come tomorrow as this is not normal behavior for a software issue and I have still not been able to access the event log.

If anyone has any additional suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Update - Pulled the old ram and attempted to boot off of a single stick of fresh off the shelf ram into safe mode. While going through the loading files, it froze and a thin bar of assorted colored pixels appeared across the top of the monitor. This is looking more indicative of either damage to the CPU or the integrated video card.

mrmez

Splendid
It does sound like a s/ware issue...
Granted I don't use windows much these days... on OSX you can do a reinstall which should basically fix everything while still keeping all your files and settings exactly how they were.
I assume you can do the same with windows?

Failing that, you will likely need a fresh install, again easy with OSX. Backup, fresh install, test system, then restore all files, programs and settings. Assuming windows can do something similar too.

Unfortunately every Windows I've ever used needed a fresh install every year or so.
Haven't had a fresh install of OSX, or a virus scanner since 2009.

thedesertwolf

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
It was a software failure. After re-installing windows 7 onto it, things returned to functioning properly albeit with the much added hassle of having to recover files from a formatted drive. Original cause of problem still utterly unknown.