Extremely disturbing high ping since 2016 (October I had Internet) until now (18/6/2017)

dbane9

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
Hello people.

First time typing here trying to seek for a solution after millions of calls to my ISP without a solution.So here's my story.

First of all, evening.As the title says, since i first connected to the Internet (that was last year's October), I have been having extremely annoying high ms in-games like (CS:GO-LoL).When i say extremely annoying, I mean like 600-700 and it goes from normal to insane in about a few seconds and stays there for at least more than 1 minute.It's just soul breaking.I can't play.I can;'t have fun.I am working 15 hours everyday and I just can't handle it anymore.I tried everything, every single thing my ISP told me, rebooted. changed cables, checked for viruses, etc.PLEASE, someone, HELP me fix this god damn ping.Maybe it's just too simple and I'm dumb.I tried everything I could guys.Just please, help me.Begging for help.

Solution

Yes, it seems the difference between the 3rd and 4th hop is too high, especially for addresses seemingly in the same domain. This would be something that needs to be addressed by the ISP I'm afraid.

I'm not sure about how the ping is being sent to a server in North America. That would definitely...

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

You mentioned changing cables, but not sure if that means you are using a wired connection between your PC and router (just want to be clear about your network configuration and that you are not using wifi). If you have a modem-only device, have you tried connecting directly to that (i.e. bypassing the router)? That should help isolate the problem.

If there are other users on your network, it's possible that any activity from their usage is causing the latency issues. You would need to disconnect all other devices to further isolate.

If you just have a problematic connection to your ISP (slow connection, cable issues, WISP or satellite ISP), you would need to provide more information about your ISP and equipment provided. Most modems provide a way to see signal levels and errors. If you live in a area that is subject to Internet congestion (e.g. apartment complex, ISP node with too many users), that could be a factor in high latency.

dbane9

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

First of all, thanks for your time and thanks for answering, man!Im not using WiFi, I'm using Ethernet connection and its a brand new cable which i decided to change it (replaced the exactly same old one to the new one which the technician brought me when he established the modem and the internet cables).To sum up, no one is using my net cause I love alone.Never had ping problems when my dad and his woman lived right next to me even tho they used my WiFi my ping was 70, now that I love alone its what i said it is.How is that possible?My modem is a ZXHN H108N router which belongs to FORTHNET (Greek ISP). I live in Greece :p

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

I would suggest running "tracert" from a command prompt, which should provide a clue as to where the high ping might originate. If you know the CSGO server IP address, do a tracert to that; otherwise you can use something like "tracert google.com". It's possible you'll find it within the first few hops (your LAN or ISP connection).

You can also run a ping to the node to where the high latency is indicated.

If it seems to be high latency in the first few hops, you might try to disconnect all devices other than your PC, by unplugging their Ethernet cables and turning off wifi on the router.

Check your router's traffic statistics to find if there is a connection issue or errors indicated.

dbane9

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

I did what you told me to do with tracert and i think i might have found the problem.Please confirm what I'm going to say.

First of all, check this image below, it's the tracert thing i did.I pinged the server im playing on which is LoL'S EUNE.

I find the last hop really awkard because its the EUNE Server im playing on and not the NA one.Tt sends the ping to NA Server.North American.Rofl.I think the problem is this the whole freaking time.

The 4th Hop is going to FORTHNET S.A .It's my ISP.It has also quiet a high ping and i do not know why.

https://s2.postimg.org/9ras4zba1/lol_eune_ping.png

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Yes, it seems the difference between the 3rd and 4th hop is too high, especially for addresses seemingly in the same domain. This would be something that needs to be addressed by the ISP I'm afraid.

I'm not sure about how the ping is being sent to a server in North America. That would definitely be a problem if you were led to believe you were actually connecting to a regional server. Not quite sure how you would go about resolving that issue.

Solution