Question Extremely Frequent Crashing

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 11, 2019
Hi, I've recently got back into fortnite (I know pretty lame) but after an hour of playing I crashed, with an error saying

Assertion failed: [File:Unknown] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0005 - 'REMOVED')
FortniteClient_Win64_Shipping
FortniteClient_Win64_Shippin

And ever since I got that crash I could never play again without crashing. Most of the time I crash about 30s-1 minute into a game, sometimes in the lobby and rarely, my game won't crash for 3 hours. then eventually crash.
So I tried fixing it. I searched up the error and tried every fix the internet gave me. This includes:
-Re installing drivers (and rolling back) even using DDU
-Regedit (TdrLevel and Delay)
-Reinstalling the game
-changing in-game settings
-Underclocking (although not 100% I did it right)
and probably more that I can't remember.

So as you can see I have tried all I could and my game just still crashes. You might say it's the engines fault, although me and my brother have almost the exact same PC although I've got a better GPU and PSU. I tried my GPU in his PC and I didn't crash once this is why I'm so curious and determined to fix it.
I also crash on any other game I play which is ark, rust and even Minecraft.

My specs are:

RTX 2060 6gb
16GB DDR4 3000mhz Ram (4x4gb)
B350 asus MB
Ryzen 5 1500x
650 G3 EVGA psu
1 SSD 120gb, 1SSD 250gb, 1HDD 1TB

any help or suggestions would be amazing and thank you.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019
I still don't see the connection. I have 3 Ryzen rigs within 1m of me. All work well. One 1st gen and two 2nd gen CPUs. My only difference is not using an Nvidia GPU, from a practical perspective.

I am stumped. I'll ask some others to weigh in.
there you see i think that's the problem i have an Nvidia GPU i know this sounds crazy and so many people have the same but it might link into the issue

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sure, but it would be a widespread issue one would think if there was more to this. Lots of folks using Nvidia GPUs in AM4 systems running all variants of Ryzens. Try an AMD GPU and see what happens. You said the GPU worked fine in your brother's rig and it is AM4 as well, right?

I have alerted the other moderators to see if anyone has a new idea.

May 11, 2019
Sure, but it would be a widespread issue one would think if there was more to this. Lots of folks using Nvidia GPUs in AM4 systems running all variants of Ryzens. Try an AMD GPU and see what happens. You said the GPU worked fine in your brother's rig and it is AM4 as well, right?

I have alerted the other moderators to see if anyone has a new idea.
I see just weird how others have the same issue. Unfortunately i don't have an AMD Gpu but yes my gpu does work in my bros and he has an AM4 slot