May 11, 2019
Hi, I've recently got back into fortnite (I know pretty lame) but after an hour of playing I crashed, with an error saying

Assertion failed: [File:Unknown] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0005 - 'REMOVED')
FortniteClient_Win64_Shipping
FortniteClient_Win64_Shippin

And ever since I got that crash I could never play again without crashing. Most of the time I crash about 30s-1 minute into a game, sometimes in the lobby and rarely, my game won't crash for 3 hours. then eventually crash.
So I tried fixing it. I searched up the error and tried every fix the internet gave me. This includes:
-Re installing drivers (and rolling back) even using DDU
-Regedit (TdrLevel and Delay)
-Reinstalling the game
-changing in-game settings
-Underclocking (although not 100% I did it right)
and probably more that I can't remember.

So as you can see I have tried all I could and my game just still crashes. You might say it's the engines fault, although me and my brother have almost the exact same PC although I've got a better GPU and PSU. I tried my GPU in his PC and I didn't crash once this is why I'm so curious and determined to fix it.
I also crash on any other game I play which is ark, rust and even Minecraft.

My specs are:

RTX 2060 6gb
16GB DDR4 3000mhz Ram (4x4gb)
B350 asus MB
Ryzen 5 1500x
650 G3 EVGA psu
1 SSD 120gb, 1SSD 250gb, 1HDD 1TB

any help or suggestions would be amazing and thank you.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is your motherboard BIOS fully up to date? Did you install the AMD Ryzen chipset drivers before installing the Geforce video drivers?

You can also try this. In your BIOS, drop your memory speed to 2133 (default DDR4 speed). Save. Restart.

See if the system is stable then.

CPU-Z can used to check your CPU, GPU, and memory speeds. Ryzen Master can as well.

May 11, 2019
I don't think so? I messed around with overcloking but I think I've put it back to normal.
Is your motherboard BIOS fully up to date? Did you install the AMD Ryzen chipset drivers before installing the Geforce video drivers?

You can also try this. In your BIOS, drop your memory speed to 2133 (default DDR4 speed). Save. Restart.

CPU-Z can used to check your CPU, GPU, and memory speeds. Ryzen Master can as well.
I think I installed my Geforce drivers before I installed my AMD ryzen chipset, would this be bad?
I will definitely see if my memory speed isn't 2133 aswell and then install cpu-z

May 11, 2019

I checked my clocks and my CPU looks like it's above 3500 which is it's default clock so i'm not sure why as I put it at 3.5x but not sure about GPU or memory clock
http://oi64.tinypic.com/dfhmpy.jpg
http://oi67.tinypic.com/2e4jfh0.jpg

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The order of installing the drivers should not matter. Typically though, I recommend installing chipset drivers first.

Some motherboards have performance profiles in the BIOS that will automatically allow the system to OC. You can change those easily.

May 11, 2019
The order of installing the drivers should not matter. Typically though, I recommend installing chipset drivers first.

Some motherboards have performance profiles in the BIOS that will automatically allow the system to OC. You can change those easily.
I did go through and check and I think everything is not overclocked, is there any other reason all my games are crashing?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You should also test your memory (memtest) to ensure no defects are present. Have you done this yet?

Are all of your games from legit sources? Have you scanned for malware/viruses recently?

Are Windows and all of your drivers current and up to date? You didn't answer about whether your BIOS is up to date.

May 11, 2019
You should also test your memory (memtest) to ensure no defects are present. Have you done this yet?

Are all of your games from legit sources? Have you scanned for malware/viruses recently?

Are Windows and all of your drivers current and up to date? You didn't answer about whether your BIOS is up to date.
Yes all of my games are from a legit source and I haven't scanned for malware/viruses and yes my mobo bios is up to date as I updated it around a week ago.
And thank you I will test my Ram.
Also I need to go to sleep soon as i have exams tomorrow, will I be able to speak to you tomorrow as well? also thanks so much for your help so far.

And should I tests my ram 1 at a time as I have 4 sticks

May 11, 2019
Yes all of my games are from a legit source and I haven't scanned for malware/viruses and yes my mobo bios is up to date as I updated it around a week ago.
And thank you I will test my Ram.
Also I need to go to sleep soon as i have exams tomorrow, will I be able to speak to you tomorrow as well? also thanks so much for your help so far.

And should I tests my ram 1 at a time as I have 4 sticks
I would run a test with all 4. If you have any issues, you should be able to isolate fairly easily.

Good luck on your exams.
okay will do. and thanks a lot man do appreciate it! also I forgot to answer one of your questions; My windows is not activated as I could not be bothered to pay for it, would this matter, and I'm not sure how to check if all my drivers are up to date, i know my GPU drivers definitely are though.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Activating (or not) won't cause this issue. That should have no impact.

Main drivers to update: Video, motherboard chipset, network, audio (if using the mobo sound device).

You can go to your mobo support site to see what is available. Just need the complete model number to find it.

May 11, 2019
Activating (or not) won't cause this issue. That should have no impact.

Main drivers to update: Video, motherboard chip-set, network, audio (if using the mobo sound device).

You can go to your mobo support site to see what is available. Just need the complete model number to find it.
Hey bro, my memtest showed my no errors at all. I also made sure my mobo chipset was up to date, and i'm still crashing. this is so annoying :(

May 11, 2019
You stated that you ran the tool to completion. Temps are displayed while running. Just wondering if either the CPU or GPU got exceedingly hot.

Does any game perform properly?
I did the test again and it ran fine, the GPU temps started off low like around 40 degrees and slowly rised to eventually 76 i cannot see my cpu though but i checked on after burner once it was done and it was about 50
The CPU usage was near 98%
I also noticed my memory clock is around 7000mhz when it crashes

And sorry what do you mean by perform properly, like not crash? All the games i play crash.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019
I did the test again and it ran fine, the GPU temps started off low like around 40 degrees and slowly rised to eventually 76 i cannot see my cpu though but i checked on after burner once it was done and it was about 50
The CPU usage was near 98%
I also noticed my memory clock is around 7000mhz when it crashes
Run Windows File System Checker to make sure Windows hasn't gotten borked during the shutdowns.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system
Just did that an unfortunately its still crashing :(

4 RAM sticks running at 3000 MHz? that might be a record setting stable speed for a B350 populated with 4 sticks...(except that it is obviously not stable here)

I'd try much slower XMP RAM speeds common to functioning on B350 boards, like 2133 and 2400, maybe 2666 MHz , etc..), and/or 2 sticks only, to see where your problem might be...