Question Extremely Frequent Crashing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 11, 2019
Hi, I've recently got back into fortnite (I know pretty lame) but after an hour of playing I crashed, with an error saying

Assertion failed: [File:Unknown] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0005 - 'REMOVED')
FortniteClient_Win64_Shipping
FortniteClient_Win64_Shippin

And ever since I got that crash I could never play again without crashing. Most of the time I crash about 30s-1 minute into a game, sometimes in the lobby and rarely, my game won't crash for 3 hours. then eventually crash.
So I tried fixing it. I searched up the error and tried every fix the internet gave me. This includes:
-Re installing drivers (and rolling back) even using DDU
-Regedit (TdrLevel and Delay)
-Reinstalling the game
-changing in-game settings
-Underclocking (although not 100% I did it right)
and probably more that I can't remember.

So as you can see I have tried all I could and my game just still crashes. You might say it's the engines fault, although me and my brother have almost the exact same PC although I've got a better GPU and PSU. I tried my GPU in his PC and I didn't crash once this is why I'm so curious and determined to fix it.
I also crash on any other game I play which is ark, rust and even Minecraft.

My specs are:

RTX 2060 6gb
16GB DDR4 3000mhz Ram (4x4gb)
B350 asus MB
Ryzen 5 1500x
650 G3 EVGA psu
1 SSD 120gb, 1SSD 250gb, 1HDD 1TB

any help or suggestions would be amazing and thank you.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019
4 RAM sticks running at 3000 MHz? that might be a record setting stable speed for a B350 populated with 4 sticks...(except that it is obviously not stable here)

I'd try much slower XMP RAM speeds common to functioning on B350 boards, like 2133 and 2400, maybe 2666 MHz , etc..), and/or 2 sticks only, to see where your problem might be...
Sorry, there not running at 3000mhz there all at 2133, but i will try only 2 thanks for the help.

May 11, 2019
4 RAM sticks running at 3000 MHz? that might be a record setting stable speed for a B350 populated with 4 sticks...(except that it is obviously not stable here)

I'd try much slower XMP RAM speeds common to functioning on B350 boards, like 2133 and 2400, maybe 2666 MHz , etc..), and/or 2 sticks only, to see where your problem might be...
I have tried with only two sticks still at 2133mhz and if anything it crashes more frequently.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is starting to look like a CPU/mobo issue. Have you inspected for bent CPU pins? If all are straight, then I am inclined to suspect the mobo. Are you certain that the mobo's BIOS is current and that it is running default settings?

May 11, 2019
This is starting to look like a CPU/mobo issue. Have you inspected for bent CPU pins? If all are straight, then I am inclined to suspect the mobo. Are you certain that the mobo's BIOS is current and that it is running default settings?
There is definitely no bent pins, I will check for the bios version, and the bios settings are not default but I don’t know how to default everything, there’s a default button but it’s only for some settings

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is really looking like an issue with the motherboard at this point.

Try this. Download a Linux ISO and burn to CD or write to a USB drive. Then boot into a Live session (this will not write anything to your storage devices). Is the system stable running Linux this way?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Disconnect all power sources (power cable, display, powered speakers). Then remove the motherboard battery. Press the power button to discharge any residual power in the system. Wait 30 secs and reverse the procedure. Your motherboard should be in its default state.

May 11, 2019
Linux Mint is an easy distro to use (I suggest the Cinnamon version, 64-bit version):

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Use Rufus to write the image to a USB drive:

Rufus

You manually select the USB drive to boot from. Pretty easy from there.
Okay so I’m on the Linux desktop and it says In the top right

“cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration and, as a result, you may observe much higher than normal CPU usage.

There could be a problem with your drivers or some other issue. For the best experience, it is recommended that you only use this mode for trouble shooting purposes”
Is that because the drivers aren’t installed on this operations system?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is not an issue. You have a relatively new GPU and Linux may not have loaded the drivers for it. Just browse and play around a bit. Intent is to see if the system crashes or not when under normal use. You can try a game to put a load on the system.

May 11, 2019
This is not an issue. You have a relatively new GPU and Linux may not have loaded the drivers for it. Just browse and play around a bit. Intent is to see if the system crashes or not when under normal use. You can try a game to put a load on the system.
Okay I will what game should I play? As it doesn’t have steam or anything aha

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Click the icon in the lower left corner (like Windows Start) and it will open a menu. Just play around and get familiar with the interface.

If Linux is stable, then your problems are likely Windows related and a fresh, clean install of Windows may resolve the issue.

May 11, 2019
Click the icon in the lower left corner (like Windows Start) and it will open a menu. Just play around and get familiar with the interface.

If Linux is stable, then your problems are likely Windows related and a fresh, clean install of Windows may resolve the issue.
I’ve been watching YouTube on here fine I will continue playing around and let you know and okay that’s fine, if I do a clean install would you guide me with what to download (driver wise and how to do a proper one if that’s okay with you

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First, you make a copy of all of the files you want to save.

Second, download a copy of Windows 10 directly from MS. Get it here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After successfully installing Windows 10. Install the motherboard chipset drivers (from earlier link in this thread) and then the Nvidia video drivers (same). Windows can manage the other drivers, I would think.

Just take your time. If you have specific questions, just ask.