Question Extremely Frequent Crashing

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 11, 2019
Hi, I've recently got back into fortnite (I know pretty lame) but after an hour of playing I crashed, with an error saying

Assertion failed: [File:Unknown] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0005 - 'REMOVED')
FortniteClient_Win64_Shipping
FortniteClient_Win64_Shippin

And ever since I got that crash I could never play again without crashing. Most of the time I crash about 30s-1 minute into a game, sometimes in the lobby and rarely, my game won't crash for 3 hours. then eventually crash.
So I tried fixing it. I searched up the error and tried every fix the internet gave me. This includes:
-Re installing drivers (and rolling back) even using DDU
-Regedit (TdrLevel and Delay)
-Reinstalling the game
-changing in-game settings
-Underclocking (although not 100% I did it right)
and probably more that I can't remember.

So as you can see I have tried all I could and my game just still crashes. You might say it's the engines fault, although me and my brother have almost the exact same PC although I've got a better GPU and PSU. I tried my GPU in his PC and I didn't crash once this is why I'm so curious and determined to fix it.
I also crash on any other game I play which is ark, rust and even Minecraft.

My specs are:

RTX 2060 6gb
16GB DDR4 3000mhz Ram (4x4gb)
B350 asus MB
Ryzen 5 1500x
650 G3 EVGA psu
1 SSD 120gb, 1SSD 250gb, 1HDD 1TB

any help or suggestions would be amazing and thank you.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019
First, you make a copy of all of the files you want to save.

Second, download a copy of Windows 10 directly from MS. Get it here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After successfully installing Windows 10. Install the motherboard chipset drivers (from earlier link in this thread) and then the Nvidia video drivers (same). Windows can manage the other drivers, I would think.

Just take your time. If you have specific questions, just ask.
im probaly not going to keep any files and also when i go to do the install it says what drive to isntall it to, and also gives the option to delete or clear the drive should i do that to all drives

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sure, you can delete all previous partitions. Personally, I would disconnect all drives except the one I planned to install Windows to to fully install it. Then, I would reconnect the additional drives and wipe/reformat them afterward. This ensures that Windows writes all system files to the boot drive and not to any others.

May 11, 2019
Sure, you can delete all previous partitions. Personally, I would disconnect all drives except the one I planned to install Windows to to fully install it. Then, I would reconnect the additional drives and wipe/reformat them afterward. This ensures that Windows writes all system files to the boot drive and not to any others.
Okay wait, should i not delete or clean the drives until after i install windows to that drive?

May 11, 2019
Just reformat them, or use Disk Management to remove all previous partitions and then create new ones.
Sorry for all these questions but let's say i want to install windows to my 250gb ssd and it ahs stuff on it, should i install it and then when im on windows then remove the other stuff?

May 11, 2019
The old data will be lost during the full install process. This is easily accomplished by removing the previous partitions during the initial setup and then creating a new partition.
Do I need to install the mother board bios again also do I need to install something called ‘bios-utility’s’

A 650W PSU is a bit marginal. The 2060 doesn't actually consume a lot for its class, but here is something to test. When you run memtest86+ much of the system load (and power consumption) is gone. If you can run memtest86+ for several hours (or overnight) without errors, then you can be sure a good chunk of your system is working right (memtest86+ is its own operating system...just make a bootable thumb drive or DVD and it goes away once you've rebooted). Now if you end up with errors under load within Windows, but not when idling (e.g., let it idle overnight), probably you are losing stability because the PSU is marginal. If you really want some head room I would think a build with an 850W supply would be without issue. Probably 750W would be ok, but not leave a lot of room for expansion or error.

Also if heat goes up the system loses stability (like old CPU heat sink compound hardens and no longer works).

COLGeek

Cybernaut
A 650W PSU is a bit marginal. The 2060 doesn't actually consume a lot for its class, but here is something to test. When you run memtest86+ much of the system load (and power consumption) is gone. If you can run memtest86+ for several hours (or overnight) without errors, then you can be sure a good chunk of your system is working right (memtest86+ is its own operating system...just make a bootable thumb drive or DVD and it goes away once you've rebooted). Now if you end up with errors under load within Windows, but not when idling (e.g., let it idle overnight), probably you are losing stability because the PSU is marginal. If you really want some head room I would think a build with an 850W supply would be without issue. Probably 750W would be ok, but not leave a lot of room for expansion or error.

Also if heat goes up the system loses stability (like old CPU heat sink compound hardens and no longer works).
I don't agree with this assessment regarding the PSU at all. A decent 650w is more than enough for this rig. There is definitely not a need for a larger wattage PSU based on this config.

May 11, 2019

I literally just upgraded my PSU, from my 600w to a 650 gold g3 the person said wattage does not really matter and a 550 would even be fine though, also I have left memtest on overnight and it’s been fine

May 11, 2019
I don't agree with this assessment regarding the PSU at all. A decent 650w is more than enough for this rig. There is definitely not a need for a larger wattage PSU based on this config.
Okay thanks for the reassurance bro I was getting worried aha

Also I just installed the chipset for my mobo so now gonna do the graphics drivers

May 11, 2019
Bro i have just finished downloading fortnight onto the new windows and i have already crashed :'( i cant believe this, what is it?

May 11, 2019
Have you been able to try any other games?

This very well may be the mobo, at this point. BTW, you didn't muck around with the BIOS settings (from the previous setting to default) did you?
I haven’t tried any other game yet no but I’m getting the same error I suspect it will do the same thing, and what do you mean I haven’t touched any thing in the bios after I defaulted it no only changed gpu clock through mai after burner

May 11, 2019
Revert the GPU clock back to stock. You need a stable system BEFORE you attempt to OC anything. Will the system run properly when nothing is OCed? Until you can answer YES to that, don't even think about OCing.
No no sorry I meant underclocked it to the actual clock it should be as it’s factory over clocked and I haven’t crashed yet