Question Extremely Frequent Crashing

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 11, 2019
Hi, I've recently got back into fortnite (I know pretty lame) but after an hour of playing I crashed, with an error saying

Assertion failed: [File:Unknown] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0005 - 'REMOVED')
FortniteClient_Win64_Shipping
FortniteClient_Win64_Shippin

And ever since I got that crash I could never play again without crashing. Most of the time I crash about 30s-1 minute into a game, sometimes in the lobby and rarely, my game won't crash for 3 hours. then eventually crash.
So I tried fixing it. I searched up the error and tried every fix the internet gave me. This includes:
-Re installing drivers (and rolling back) even using DDU
-Regedit (TdrLevel and Delay)
-Reinstalling the game
-changing in-game settings
-Underclocking (although not 100% I did it right)
and probably more that I can't remember.

So as you can see I have tried all I could and my game just still crashes. You might say it's the engines fault, although me and my brother have almost the exact same PC although I've got a better GPU and PSU. I tried my GPU in his PC and I didn't crash once this is why I'm so curious and determined to fix it.
I also crash on any other game I play which is ark, rust and even Minecraft.

My specs are:

RTX 2060 6gb
16GB DDR4 3000mhz Ram (4x4gb)
B350 asus MB
Ryzen 5 1500x
650 G3 EVGA psu
1 SSD 120gb, 1SSD 250gb, 1HDD 1TB

any help or suggestions would be amazing and thank you.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Not sure what to tell you other than it will definitely come off. You may need to remove the CPU from the socket (just unlock and remove the CPU/heatsink together. You can then pry them apart. I recommend something, stiff, thin, and plastic, like a nylon pry tool used to repair cell phones.

May 11, 2019
Not sure what to tell you other than it will definitely come off. You may need to remove the CPU from the socket (just unlock and remove the CPU/heatsink together. You can then pry them apart. I recommend something, stiff, thin, and plastic, like a nylon pry tool used to repair cell phones.
How can I remove them both together it’s impossible to go under the heat sink to lift the lever

May 11, 2019
Understood. Apply more force (to remove the heatsink) or find another AM4 CPU to test with. You could also take to a local PC shop for assistance.
Okay I’m not going to try and get it off as I don’t want to damage but I think I’ll try to look for another cpu,
Could I contact amazon again and get 1 for free like my mobo

May 11, 2019
If you feel it is defective and file the proper claim, it is possible.
Bro your not going to believe me but I got a brand new CPU from amazon, installed it and i'm still crashing. It has to be something!? what is it maybe i've not done something right when building the PC, like not putting a wire in correctly|?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your GPU should normally go into the slot nearest the CPU. If you have any SATA storage device plugged into the motherboard and have the HDD LED connected, it will flash from time to time.

Are you using the original memory during all of these swaps?

Also, from where did you get Windows?

May 11, 2019
Your GPU should normally go into the slot nearest the CPU. If you have any SATA storage device plugged into the motherboard and have the HDD LED connected, it will flash from time to time.

Are you using the original memory during all of these swaps?

Also, from where did you get Windows?
Okay my gpu is in the nearest slot to cpu and yes my memory is original but I’ve done a meme test and it said no errors and I got my windows from Microsoft but it’s not activated